Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Best speaker design for living room
Best speaker design for living room
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th October 2018, 03:09 PM   #11
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
A Chuppy Tower should have enough raw shifting power.
Not by my lights, which is why I made suggestions which reflect this opinion. You don't agree, which is fair enough. However, I am entitled to express it and it seems that I'm not alone in holding a similar view.

Quote:
A tower with the original EPI splay of the drivers would also work well into a corner, perhaps with some assistance from a sub.
Providing a quasi-omni polar response is acceptable I'd agree, although certainly not, as far as I would be concerned, with 4in wideband drive units for acceptable dynamic range < c. 200Hz in a space that size. Nor does everybody like quasi-omni designs, so when in doubt or in the absence of additional information, the dinosaur here prefers to stick with conventional design practice of a quality monopole, which is familiar to most people and unlikely to polarise opinion, rather than some of the more esoteric options. Subwoofers can help, naturally, but can require more attention in setup, sometimes a lot more, so for people new to [DIY] audio an integrated solution is often easier to get up and running.

Quote:
I have put a pair of towers with just one CHR driver in my sisters living room, that is of comparable size to this, and that works fine for the listening levels and requirements of a family of four, while also satisfying me when I visit.

You might think in terms of your wants, when I sense something a bit more mundane in terms of dynamics and bottom from the OP.
I do not consider the dynamic range and LF response of a pair of 4in CHRs even remotely adequate in a room of 13,800ft^3. 'A bit more mundane' is one thing; but in your zeal to state that I only think in terms of 'my' wants (I shall simply state that you are mistaken) you overlook the fact that what you find satisfying is no more or less a statement of your own wants or preferences. Nor is your 'sense' at present any more than a differing opinion. Therefore, without additional information, I prefer to follow my favoured engineering practice of making suggestions that have what I consider to be a reasonable amount in reserve to cover a range of potential requirements, rather than risking underspecification or excessive character, which is typically more difficult to address after the fact.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 16th October 2018 at 03:23 PM.
Old 16th October 2018, 04:35 PM   #12
Jazzfan is offline Jazzfan  Canada
diyAudio Member

I have for the last few months been listening to the Fane 15 inch full range with a Fane 15 inch low frequency driver on a 60x100 cm open baffle. I'm using a miniDSP to roll off the bass driver and an analog parametric eq on the full ranger. The 15 was a little harsh at first but over time has smoothed out and with a bit of eq delivers an effortless, full bodied sound that I find very appealing. The compromise is high frequency extension and dispersion but an efficient dome tweeter could help there. Big driver sound is addictive and now I can't imagine going back to a 6 inch bass driver. The Fanes are inexpensive and will fill a big room with a watt or two.
Old 16th October 2018, 04:58 PM   #13
jreyes225 is offline jreyes225  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Thanks a lot everyone. I'm getting a lot of helpful advice. Given the various suggestions, i think my best bet would be to check out the available equipment here and see what would work best. At least now i have a better idea of what to look for or try out.
Old 16th October 2018, 05:23 PM   #14
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhazi View Post
GM, I think that you misunderstood "projecting" as good imaging. Instead the OP said "so that the speakers would sound good whether I'm eating on the dining table, relaxing on the couch, or having many guests staying all over the living room."

I think that rules out horn speakers!
In a room that's even bigger than mine it doesn't with any horn systems I've built; well controlled directivity is a 'must have' performance criteria IME, so we'll have to agree to disagree.

GM
Old 16th October 2018, 05:43 PM   #15
Jazzfan is offline Jazzfan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Synergies and subs are within budget and have the controlled directivity mentioned by GM.
Old 16th October 2018, 05:45 PM   #16
jreyes225 is offline jreyes225  Philippines
diyAudio Member

I found a guy around here who is selling some horns he bought from this engineer. It has 15 inch coral drivers in mini version VOT baffles with jbl 2426h buttcheeks concrete horn and 2402 alnico tweeter. He's selling it for about $1000. I have no idea what the actual design or dimensions are but I could go to his place to give it a try before buying. Could this possibly work for my space? Is it a good deal considering those drivers?
Old 16th October 2018, 06:21 PM   #17
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

My listening experiences with "pa-style" two-ways with deep horns in domestic living rooms are not so good. Yes they can be very good at and near the spot, but not at dinner table (or in toilet).

This is because of the big difference in full space (3D) directivity (DI) below and above xo - ambient sound spectrum is lacking the treble. They may sound quite balanced in a highly reflective room (RT30 above 0,6 in treble F) but this kind of rooms are not wanted for hifi...

Most people are just used to this vanishing of treble because they haven't heard good omnis or dipoles.

Speaker directivity / off axis response: theory and measurement techniques - Acoustic Frontiers

3D3A Lab at Princeton University
Old 16th October 2018, 06:41 PM   #18
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreyes225 View Post
I found a guy around here who is selling some horns he bought from this engineer. It has 15 inch coral drivers in mini version VOT baffles with jbl 2426h buttcheeks concrete horn and 2402 alnico tweeter. He's selling it for about $1000. I have no idea what the actual design or dimensions are but I could go to his place to give it a try before buying. Could this possibly work for my space? Is it a good deal considering those drivers?
Sounds like a good deal as Corals are highly prized for HIFI apps, ditto the JBL 2402 at least at one time, though there's better available now, but definitely audition them if for no other reason than to have some sort of horn related baseline. Note too that 'butt cheeks' were designed for near-field studio monitors IIRC, in which case a poor choice for the wide speaker spacing, large variable listening distances of your app.

GM
Old 16th October 2018, 10:33 PM   #19
Squeak is offline Squeak  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
Not by my lights, which is why I made suggestions which reflect this opinion. You don't agree, which is fair enough. However, I am entitled to express it and it seems that I'm not alone in holding a similar view.

Providing a quasi-omni polar response is acceptable I'd agree, although certainly not, as far as I would be concerned, with 4in wideband drive units for acceptable dynamic range < c. 200Hz in a space that size. Nor does everybody like quasi-omni designs, so when in doubt or in the absence of additional information, the dinosaur here prefers to stick with conventional design practice of a quality monopole, which is familiar to most people and unlikely to polarise opinion, rather than some of the more esoteric options. Subwoofers can help, naturally, but can require more attention in setup, sometimes a lot more, so for people new to [DIY] audio an integrated solution is often easier to get up and running.

I do not consider the dynamic range and LF response of a pair of 4in CHRs even remotely adequate in a room of 13,800ft^3. 'A bit more mundane' is one thing; but in your zeal to state that I only think in terms of 'my' wants (I shall simply state that you are mistaken) you overlook the fact that what you find satisfying is no more or less a statement of your own wants or preferences. Nor is your 'sense' at present any more than a differing opinion. Therefore, without additional information, I prefer to follow my favoured engineering practice of making suggestions that have what I consider to be a reasonable amount in reserve to cover a range of potential requirements, rather than risking underspecification or excessive character, which is typically more difficult to address after the fact.
I get all that. You want to be cautious to not give the poor guy a bad first experience with DIY speakers.
But consider that he found his way in here.
That already says something about his personality, willingness to take risk and knowledge about basics.
Old 16th October 2018, 11:58 PM   #20
baier is offline baier
diyAudio Member

Default Wauw

okay this is definitely not the greatest idea, but i would make some really wide but very flat panels and put them in the celling

Best speaker design for living roomHide this!Advertise here!