Speaking speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings,
Is it true that a driver in a TL speaker should have a much stiffer cone than usual? When deciding on a full-range driver, how can I discern which ones have it? Are there any new TL....DIY sites or 'sources of info' out there? I am looking to build a single (mono) speaker to playback a neutral, accurate waveform of spoken voice, between 60 Hz and 5,000 Hz.

I thought I read that somewhere........that the unsupported air acting on the back of the speaker allow it to move too much and that a stronger cone material would counteract that.

As a good general rule, the stiffer the diaphragm, the stiffer the suspension [lower Vas], ergo the stiffer the cab's air mass spring ideally needs to be [lower net Vb] to counteract it and vice versa, so based solely on this criteria, all drivers can be sealed, reflex TL/compression horn loaded, only its 'compression' chamber's [Vb] changes to maintain the correct system Qt [sysQ].

The exception of course is OB/IB where the driver's compliance is the sysQ.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.