Subwoofer active, with open baffle with Fostex Fe206en and 300B amplifier.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think most here would rather have stereo woofers as you're going to be able to localize the sub at 150hz.

I've been playing around with sub crossover points recently and find I have to set it to 50hz to avoid its contribution becoming too obvious. Even 80hz I could locate it.

Place it centrally and give it a listen, you might find it acceptable?

I think the issue with an XO as low as our Irish friend suggests is that the FE206 would be very hamstrung trying to get that low in an OB - that's a driver that really wants a BLH to get much output below the mid hundreds without running into X-max limitations.

Chrisb, yes, for this reason I think 150hz maybe would be a good start point. Fe206en have 1.5mm xmax

You've misunderstood? We think the xmas is limited for the crossover point you want in a open baffle. I'm not sure how to be clearer?
But give it a go, you might find at moderate levels it works for you? I've had good results from all kinds of odd set ups.

Depending on the size of the baffle, your FR could start dropping at 300Hz.

Also, freeing the FR from the low end will increase its clarity, meaning lower distorsion. So, a XO between 300 and 500 is best. That means, you'll need a woofer.

Of course, expectations of each and everyone are different, but since we don't have any information on how you will listen, and what, then all these are just speculations on what you need.

ewollowe - yes, I think a fundamental misunderstanding of both the several posts on this thread so far, as well as the general subject might be at play

and if I may be so bold, I think perceval's above post needs to be understood to mean "a woofer per channel"

Don't be suprprised that people aren't replying. This just doesn't work. You could probably use that Fostex in a closed box, in which case it would make it down to 80-100 hz (you will still need a BSC) , if you want to use a sub. But, just one sub is wong, in any case, make it two, stereo....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.