3D printable speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Found a this beautiful design; what do you think about these?

Nautilux by renaudchine - Thingiverse
Is the enclosure too small for a 4" full-range driver?

Then two transmission line or TQWP inspired;

HIFI Maze Speaker audio box by iiime - Thingiverse
3 inch Speaker Box by Landluger - Thingiverse

How much would the material impact sound, should they be made from wood filament or preferrably normal PLA for hardness?

Thats's a nice looking cabinet but purpose is to attenuate back radiation, only a tapered chamber like the "Dagger" is needed. Stuffed with progressively denser fiber or glass wool, it measures just like an open baffle - not rear reflection artifacts.

You can also make a spiral tapered sealed TL like the Nautaloss quite easily with foam core. Printing a large snail like the one shown will take many days and may not be so easy as many machines have a hard time completing such a large job without clogging or tangling the feed.

The Nautaloss Ref Monitor

They are now ready:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Glueing together with cyanoacrylate, stuffing for the inaccessible parts.

Glueing both halves together.

First primer to reveal all imperfections.

Filler and sanding.

Sanded down.

And more primer.

Full-range drivers arrived, from https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-MODEL-Audio-Labs-Top-end-4-Full-Range-Speaker-unit-sets-Aluminum-Bullet-2-Layer/32619233343.html

Now for the final paint, sandstone.

Sandstone paint and matte varnish.

Added terminals and 3D printed stands.

Finished desktop speakers. They do sound good but the sound is quite directional.

Attachments

• Printed_parts.jpg
    Printed_parts.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 149
  • Kõllid.jpg
    Kõllid.jpg
    503.3 KB · Views: 157
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
How long did it take to print these, and what was the cost of filament?

while I am not an expert, I have 3D printer, the length of the printing depends on the settings, I can have the same stuff printed in three levels of quality, which can mean double the time for highest quality in comparison to the rough print

filament is cheap, I buy when on sale in large quantities

Joined 2008
Paid Member
while I am not an expert, I have 3D printer, the length of the printing depends on the settings, I can have the same stuff printed in three levels of quality, which can mean double the time for highest quality in comparison to the rough print

filament is cheap, I buy when on sale in large quantities

Interesting. The woodwork is the hardest part of speaker building for me both in terms of skill and accessibility. So if 3D printers can make sturdy enough cabs...

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thanx

3” Cabinet Volume: approx 1.1 L / 0.038 ft3: few speakers i have tried work in this volume. Scan 10F, W3-817, Aura NS3 (last 2 sealed)

4” egg: Cabinet Volume: approx 3.5 L / 0.123 ft3 (useful for A6.2m/p) and internal volume could be filled a bit to get less volume for A5.2/FF85wk (and should be fine for CHN50 and FatalPro 3F22).

5” egg: Cabinet Volume: approx 5.5 L / 0.194 ft3 — similar size to all the miliSize boxes (A6.2/A7.3/A7ms/CHx70/FF105wk/FE103 SOL).

Would have to figure out how to fit a highR slot vent, but that should be doable.

dave

The 3" sounds pretty good in that small egg, longer bass port gave it ok'ish bass, 4 & 5" with the sioux units are in a totally different league.

You want a slotted port in the eggs?

Also working on transmission line cabinets (mostly for sub purposes) like the one Hexibase did, will try with 4-6", also have 6x9" which i use now in 2 towers of 6x 6x9" sioux units with treble/mid's taken off so only bass, does require a bit of EQ to get the 125hz boost of 6x units in 1 room but they go ok low and with 500W they kick alot :p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.