First post here ever, Avebury - alp12p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Okay first of let's me start by saying hi, my Name is Thor and I recently started on sound as a hobby (only been into lossless listening for like 1,5-2 years, started off with headphones, then bought a record player, and since then I have slowly been upgrading my stereo setup, then 2-3 months ago I visited an older friend of mine who's spent quite some buck and time on his stereo and when I heard his stereo my first thought was that I need this in my life, not a stereo exactly the same but just something better than what I had(can't afford a pair of tanoy like his), fast-forward to today the day after I build my first pair of speakers.
Me and a friend(not him who inspired me) had access to all the tools and wood we could dream of at his workplace, we had already chosen that we wanted the markaudio alpair12p speakers, so with that in mind we jumped the rabbit hole and talked long about which cab, and I said let's go crazy so we chose the Avebury from Scott just to try something big, and wow, we were blown away yesterday when we heard them play first time, (obvs not from the volume but the clarity) can't wait till they are finished running in, and we can start turning the volume

This has been one of the best experiences I ever had collecting information and knowledge, speaking with other enthusiasts, as everyone I've written with and spoken to have been super helpful! So thanks for being awesome

Also a big thanks to Scott for designing this magnificent cabinet
And a big thanks to Mark audio for creating a beautiful sounding driver

Any question is welcome, I will try to answer as good as I can

Also we haven't finished the woodwork as the painting because the painting/lack department was too busy at the moment, so we have to wait 2-3 months to get the completely done and I will upload some new pictures but here they are for now

hPo41PN.jpg

e19sIVk.jpg

Last edited:
Hi *Thor
It is good to see more young people in Denmark going to Diy..

it is a very fine build this speaker,,,,remind me of my younger days , i build some horn,

some of them sound good...Lowther,,Coral and other

it was my friend Michael (Tannoy speaker) that told me about you...

i use this speaker now

The-Loudspeaker

happy building Bjarne

What is good in the sound? Bass? Middle?
3 d?
Is near backwall the right place for avebyru speakers?

HI Leif, right now everything I can think of, but you know love blinds, It have a very flat response from what the spl app on my phone says, the bass is warm and well presented even at low volume, all around a very natural sounding speaker, I've played around 110 hours on them now and they really seem to open up more and more, also yes the 3d is fantastic! Listened to Kate bush today and if I sit in the sweet spot it's just as if I were there

Thanks for the interest!
Kind regards Thor

Reactions: 1 user
Hi *Thor
It is good to see more young people in Denmark going to Diy..

it is a very fine build this speaker,,,,remind me of my younger days , i build some horn,

some of them sound good...Lowther,,Coral and other

it was my friend Michael (Tannoy speaker) that told me about you...

i use this speaker now

The-Loudspeaker

happy building Bjarne

HI Bjarne, thanks :) it's really a great adventure to go into, now I just have to build an amp
I'm thinking about Pass Labs Aleph 3

But Michael have been talking a lot of tube amps, but that might be a project for the future

Hilsen Thor :)

Okay, been playing like 150 hours now, and started introducing them to a wider spectrum of music, I started noticing sounds and things, and I start to understand why people are saying that they are unforgiving, one of my favorite tracks is ruined now, as I was able to hear that the guitar sample they use through the whole song must have been from a dirty vinyl, and they repeat the sample for every six seconds or so (afu ra - warfare)
Also been listening a lot to ottmar liebert as it was suggested for running the speakers in with on a other thread, and boy here the speakers really comes to life, set at the right volume and closed eyes, I will be in doubt if there is a guitarist in my room.

BTW Zia I forgot to thank you, as a lot of your posts also helped us a lot through this process, we have been reading this forum thin :)

Okay now, some months in with the avebury's I've come to really love these babies, as of the moment they have been send off to get finished, some design changes was made by my partner Tue, and I imagine they will be looking like a million in a week or so, so while they aren't home, I've listened to my dali 2a's and I can't describe how much I miss my avebury's

Just finished building my Aveburys!

Hi everyone! Had a nice time outdoors this summer building the Aveburys. Many thanks to Scott for providing this very cool design, and for fueling my diy interest with speaker theory and design posts through the years. I built the Valiants (with Fostex FE126En drivers) designed by Scott some 9 years ago, and I have been impressed by the way the bass is distributed against the back wall by the double mouth design. The Aveburys take it one step further, with very weighty and solid bass down to the low 40s. I'm just +20 hours into listening to them, but I already love them! Highly recommended build!
Cheers!\Hans in Holmsund, Sweden.

Attachments

• Woden Design Avebury Markaudio Alpair 12P 20190722 Pic1 small.jpg
    Woden Design Avebury Markaudio Alpair 12P 20190722 Pic1 small.jpg
    851.5 KB · Views: 265
  • Woden Design Avebury Markaudio Alpair 12P 20190722 Pic2 small.jpg
    Woden Design Avebury Markaudio Alpair 12P 20190722 Pic2 small.jpg
    786.5 KB · Views: 270
  • Woden Design Avebury Markaudio Alpair 12P 20190722 Pic3 small.jpg
    Woden Design Avebury Markaudio Alpair 12P 20190722 Pic3 small.jpg
    695.8 KB · Views: 257
  • Woden Design Avebury Markaudio Alpair 12P 20190722 Pic4 small.jpg
    Woden Design Avebury Markaudio Alpair 12P 20190722 Pic4 small.jpg
    739.6 KB · Views: 222
  • Woden Design Avebury Markaudio Alpair 12P 20190722 Pic5 small.jpg
    Woden Design Avebury Markaudio Alpair 12P 20190722 Pic5 small.jpg
    525.4 KB · Views: 219
  • Woden Design Avebury Markaudio Alpair 12P 20190722 Pic6 small.jpg
    Woden Design Avebury Markaudio Alpair 12P 20190722 Pic6 small.jpg
    407.1 KB · Views: 125
  • Woden Design Avebury Markaudio Alpair 12P 20190722 Pic7 small.jpg
    Woden Design Avebury Markaudio Alpair 12P 20190722 Pic7 small.jpg
    443.8 KB · Views: 130
  • Woden Design Avebury Markaudio Alpair 12P 20190722 Pic8 small.jpg
    Woden Design Avebury Markaudio Alpair 12P 20190722 Pic8 small.jpg
    427.9 KB · Views: 114
  • Woden Design Avebury Markaudio Alpair 12P 20190722 Pic9 small.jpg
    Woden Design Avebury Markaudio Alpair 12P 20190722 Pic9 small.jpg
    452.3 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
@bjuck57, nice work but to me your listening room looks small for Avebury. I read 10' min listening position from the drivers, they appear too close together for a 10' triangle between the two speakers and you.

What size is your listening room and how far are you seated from the drivers?

Asking because I'm looking for an A12p build for a smaller - modest room and would like to do a BLH ... am patiently waiting for the Jane horn variant of Frugal XL.

Hello mp9, thank you for your interest in my build!
The room is roughly 12 by 15 ft, the listening position 8-9 ft from the speakers (longer than the separation between the speakers). Yes, I am aware of that I have the speakers closer positioned than the recommended distance. I am very pleased with how they perform in this position, especially how the horns distribute the bass on the back wall. I have previously built the Frugal Horn Mk3 and like that design, but these double mouth designs of Scott's, to me, are different beasts. I was addicted to the Valiant bass performance years ago, and the Avebury shares the bass sonics with the Valiant, but with deeper and more solid bass. My impression of the Avebury is that it works very well in this somewhat smaller room.

Hello mp9, thank you for your interest in my build!
The room is roughly 12 by 15 ft, the listening position 8-9 ft from the speakers (longer than the separation between the speakers). Yes, I am aware of that I have the speakers closer positioned than the recommended distance. I am very pleased with how they perform in this position, especially how the horns distribute the bass on the back wall. I have previously built the Frugal Horn Mk3 and like that design, but these double mouth designs of Scott's, to me, are different beasts. I was addicted to the Valiant bass performance years ago, and the Avebury shares the bass sonics with the Valiant, but with deeper and more solid bass. My impression of the Avebury is that it works very well in this somewhat smaller room.
Good to know.
I'm working with about the same size room, 11.5' x 16.75'. I also have a 12.5' x 18.5' room with a 6' open entryway at the 11.5' wall and a 7.5' open entryway along the adjacent longer wall. Only no matter how fine the woodworking they'd never pass WAF to reside there.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.