Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What can I possibly get with a budget of about 00
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th September 2018, 06:37 AM   #1
nrstly is offline nrstly  Ukraine
diyAudio Member

Unhappy What can I possibly get with a budget of about $1000

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and obviously new to audio DIY so I might be posting rookie questions.
Reason I want to enter this domain is that soon it will be my grandpa's 80th and I want to give him a meaningful gift, as he's always enjoying the music I think a handmade loudspeaker can be a good choice.
I know there are merchants selling speakers online and many also offers corresponding design for DIY. So as for this part there might be no problem, but question to someone with almost zero experience like me is... Which one to choose?
I have a budget of $1000, any suggestion on which to buy?
Old 28th September 2018, 07:01 AM   #2
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
diyAudio Member

So you want some kind of kit? - What kits have you evaluated so far?
Are there any size constraints? - Huge, tiny, bookshelf, tower?
How are your woodworking skills? - Pre-cut Flat pack, or planning and cutting it all by yourself?
How much time do you have?
Old 28th September 2018, 07:46 AM   #3
twocents is offline twocents  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Hey nrstly, welcome to the world of diyAudio. As KaffiMann said – there are many unknowns here, like how big is grandpa’s setup and where will grandpa’s music come from?

However, here are some suggestions to get you started. Consider something like these standard TABAQ speakers, using these drivers. They should be easy to build, probably cost less than $100 to make, and probably sound much much better than commercial speakers of $1000. These speakers should give grandpa endless music pleasure for the rest of his life.

Don't let your experience level intimidate you. I (like many other forum members here) also started at level zero.

Then, here is how you can spend the rest of your money:
1) Build yourself a set of really really nice speakers like these, using these drivers.
2) Build a Class A Pass amp, starting with this one.
3) Donate a few $ to diyAudio.

By this time you will be so addicted and all over the forum searching for the next preamp, power amp, speakers or DAC to build. Enjoy the ride.
Old 28th September 2018, 10:37 AM   #4
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
diyAudio Member

For about 1000$ you can get a complete setup with amplifier and speakers, and there are a number of ways to do it, and there is an enormous number of different outcomes/end results. We just want to help you narrow it down a bit first.
Old 28th September 2018, 10:43 AM   #5
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Hello, welcome.

Firstly, this is the full range forum, which here means a single driver. If this isn't what you mean you may get a better response in the "multi-way" forum.
Old 28th September 2018, 02:17 PM   #6
nrstly is offline nrstly  Ukraine
diyAudio Member

Thanks a lot for your response, you guys are amazingly kind-hearted.
1. As for kits no idea yet, someone told me that first thing is to get a good driver so I'm going to start from this part. I've scanned some on the internet but soon got confused because really not much idea about the parameters. Seems experienced ones like you can tell immediately once you see the specifications, how I wish I can do the same...
2. I'd like to get something with a 10' driver and to me it's big enough.
3. Woodworking is not a problem for me, what's more, I am not going to make something with complicated conception like shown in some posts.
4. I still have about 4 months so still plenty of time.
5. I am not intending to get an amplifier because the speaker is already a lot of work for me. He got lots of amplifiers so as long as I don't bring him something very unusual there won't be questions about amplifier...

And, thanks once more for your kind answers and suggestions. I'd take sometime to learn about audio to even understand some points of your suggestions. Anyway I'll be working hard to learn.
Old 29th September 2018, 12:48 AM   #7
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Keep in mind that the “full range” sub forum generally refers to “single driver” / wide band drivers, or at least systems with limited support of bottom octave or two, most often with separately powered woofer(s).
There are relatively few 10” full-range drivers, but quite a few excellent choices in the 6-8” range - many of us frequenting these fora will have our own favourites / axes to grind , and no doubt your cited budget would more than suffice for many of us.
Old 29th September 2018, 02:01 AM   #8
mikejennens is offline mikejennens  United States
diyAudio Member

What is it about a 10" driver that makes you want to go with one?
Mike
Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, Paul Carmody's Sunflowers, Jeff Bagby's Continuums; Planet 10 HiFi's MarkAudio A 7.3 Frugalhorns and MarkAudio CHP-70s, Nola Brio Clones with a Voxel Sub and a bunch of others...
Old 29th September 2018, 02:37 AM   #9
mortron is offline mortron  Canada
diyAudio Member

While I am sure there are some nice 10" options out there, I would be inclined to stick with 8" or smaller, simply because I find the larger drivers lacking sparkle.

I owned Visaton B200 with phase plugs that were quite nice and my first foray into full range drivers. They were nice and had good highs but the sweet spot wasn't very large.

I went with a 2 way using an EPI 1" tweeter and a 10" Seas woofer that was used open baffle. This combo was much more pleasant to me. What I began to realize is that you need to prioritize your needs.

If a single full range is a must, and no crossover, then full range driver it is. The smaller ones tend to sound better off axis, especially with the phase plugs.

As you age, high frequencies become less prominent and at your father's age, high end may be of lesser concern, and therefore lend itself well to a large full range driver.

If you mean traditional multi-way speakers, like a woof, mid, treble... As someone mentioned, the other sub may be better.
Old 29th September 2018, 03:00 AM   #10
GASCo is offline GASCo  United States
diyAudio Member

I think that you should ask yourself why he has already, if that matches the kind of music he hears and if he is an adventurous kind of guy.

This is the full range sub forum, so here you’d find good ideas for an open baffle or fast if you want bigish drivers.

I think I will try a LX-mini next, though not full range. I’m just finishing a frugelhorn XL now, it is a well liked speaker but with smaller drives. It goes pretty low regardless. The LX-mini has a complicated crossover that is available on the diystore, or you can use a MiniDSP for an easier and less expensive solution. That would require two amplifiers though.

What can I possibly get with a budget of about 00Hide this!Advertise here!