Enclosure for (2) Dayton Audio ND91-4 and (1) Peerless 830878 3-1/2" Passive Radiator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Enclosure for (2) Dayton Audio ND91-4 and (1) Peerless 830878 3-1/2" Passive Radiator

I am thinking about building a single speaker that uses two Dayton Audio ND91-4 Drivers and one Peerless 830878 3-1/2" Passive Radiator.

Ive read that people have had success with using a single ND91 in a vented 0.04 cu. ft. enclosure.
So, would it work out well if I made a 0.08 cu. ft. enclosure with two ND91s and one 830878 radiator?

Never used a passive radiator before, so just curious how that effects the enclosure requirements.

OR,,,
am I better off just doing a 0.08 cu. ft. enclosure with a typical tube port?
If so, can anyone provide me with what size/length I would need? Prefer to use easy to get PVC pipe.
Or I could do a slot port actually. Front facing.

Links to the driver and radiator...
Dayton Audio ND91-4
Peerless by Tymphany 830878 3-1/2" Passive Radiator

Last edited:
Thanks guys, just looked into the Dayton radiators, and they do indeed seem to be a much better fit.
The ND90-PR is perfectly matched to one ND91 driver.
But yea, looks like I would definitely need two radiators with two drivers.
Or, I could use a single ND140-PR 5 1/4" which would be over twice the volume of the two drivers, which might fit my design better.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Typically you want the PR to have about twice the Sd of the main driver. It needs to be modeled to get the best performance and many PR's have a bolt that lets you attach washers for added mass. Also, you can use any driver with voice coil, if it has the right TS params to be a PR. Then the voicecoil can be left open or a resistor can be connected to form an electromagnetic damper (brake) for tighter but less deep bass. Useful for cheap/budget drivers to turn into PR's which can sometimes be hard to find.

Did you mean Vd? Not Sd?
I ask because it says this on the Dayton PR specs...
Tip: As a general rule, the passive radiator(s) should have at least double the displacement of air (Vd) as the active woofer(s)/subwoofer(s) in the system.
To calculate Vd: Sd x Xmax = Vd

Does it hurt to be over twice the Vd?
Two ND-91s would be 279.68 Vd (559.36 for double)
A single ND140-PR is 779.4

The ND91 specs say 0.01 cu. ft. for sealed and 0.04 cu. ft. for vented.
If I use a passive radiator, I should use the vented volume, correct?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.