Help: Finding Designs & Components for Back Loaded or Folded Horn Builds

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to build my own bluetooth speaker, something similar to the table top units from Bose.
It seems that they use designs similar to back loaded horn, or folded horn designs to get that deep bass out of a small driver.

--- Are their any free plans out there for enclosures like this?
Especially ones that tell you what driver best fits that enclosures design and tuning?
It can be a design for a small bookshelf speaker, I can adapt that, and basically just build two, laid down together, kinda like a soundbar.

--- Are there any low to mid priced drivers that builders generally like to use for these projects?

--- Anyone know a good amp+BT solution to use in this build?
I see several little DIY units on Amazon, but not sure if any are going to produce decent sound.

Vifa/Tymphany TC9FD18-08 is a good ~13$ 3.5" driver that will lend itself well to smaller-to-moderate sized builds, and there are similar drivers in the 2" range that would also work well.

Next step up that will drop-in to the same sizes requirements, would be the Faital-Pro 3FE25, but at ~20$ each. It's a more sensitive driver, so will take less power for the same output, a good choice for flea-power applications. I run two per box in my 0.53x Karlsonators off of a 1 watt tube amplifier, and they are plenty loud enough for everything other than tone-deaf party SPL.

I personally suggest the Karlsonator if space allows, and it can be built out of foamcore board or 1/4" plywood. I have both a single 0.4x and a dual 0.53x, and they are my daily speakers, in use practically the entire day when anybody is home. They are a fantastic design, and the imaging is something few other speakers can do as well! Very, very nice design. I've attached a pic of the first pair built out of black foamcore. It's unbelievable how nice these sound.

A folded Tabaq would also be a good choice. I don't have my plans saved, but others can comment on scaling.

Attachments

• 20180126_201249.jpg
    20180126_201249.jpg
    851.2 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Lingwendil,
Thanks for the advice, that TC9FD18-08 was mentioned in a few other threads I have been searching for, seems like a nice option at a great price.
The 3EF25 looks nice also, not much $ increase so would be worth it if it sounds better.

I like a nice full rich sound, that is slightly mid and bass heavy.
Just think this would be a really fun woodworking project so make something that looks good, but also has some rich bass for its size.

The Karlsonator design looks interesting. Though it might be a bit larger that I am looking for.
Though, this might not be avoidable, I may need a enclosure larger than I am really wanting, if I want it to have any bass to it at all.

Here are some examples of what I am looking to build.
A stereo, one unit system. So if need be, I can basically take a bookshelf design and stick two of them together.

Attachments

• Bose-Wave-Radio-CD-bass-chamber-diagram.png
    Bose-Wave-Radio-CD-bass-chamber-diagram.png
    78.6 KB · Views: 132
  • FK7RV38H0OJ3UDW.LARGE.jpg
    FK7RV38H0OJ3UDW.LARGE.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 125
  • main-qimg-b29810db2c85fa9b3855833b7517b690.png
    main-qimg-b29810db2c85fa9b3855833b7517b690.png
    215.7 KB · Views: 134
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 122
I don't want to sound like a killjoy, but you should keep in mind that while to a point it's possible to fool people, you can't fool the laws of physics. 'Small', 'horn' and 'bass' together is essentially an oxymoron (pick any two, but you can't have all three), and Bose tend to achieve what they do via EQ and other means. Which is fair enough, but you need to be aware of that & the other engineering aspects. The other small horns you picture -how shall I put this? Suck like a dehydrated camel presented with ten free gallons of Peroni in an air-conditioned basement bar.

You would be better off with the Karlsonator, since this is what it does well, or something like a vented alignment with relatively broadband gain through the upper bass.

Scottmoose,
I totally get the fact that you cant beat physics when it comes to the enclosures.
Some get around it a bit with the fancy internal designs, but those fancy internals also take up alot of space themselves.

I think I will end up making two different things,
One smallish all in one unit with builtin amp and bluetooth.
Which I would like to find a proven design to use thats not too big. Doesnt have to be fancy, just at least tuned to the speakers I end up using.

Then a second project that is a set of bookshelf speakers, which it looks like the Karlsonator design would be great for.

My advice- Buy a couple pairs of the TC9. They are incredibly versatile drivers and really do sound great in many applications. If you don't mind the extra cost per driver, grab the 3FE25, or maybe a pair of each to play with. The TC9 is a great value, but the 3FE25 has a little more efficiency (something like 6db higher) and will do great in many of the same builds, with a slightly different sound (I swear it has a smidge more HF in the same builds, all else remaining the same) but both are a really good speaker for smaller applications.

Take a look at the designs in the foamcore speaker thread, and see what fits the size you are looking at building. There are plenty of scaled down builds there, and they will work in foamcore or thinner plywood with appropriate stuffing.

Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.