Ikea Variara full range with Faital Pro 3fe22

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2018
Paid Member
This is my first speaker 'build' but lacking in workshop space I thought I would make a start with a ready made enclosure.
Enter the Ikea Variara storage box. There are 2 sizes... I think this is the smaller one. It had a volume of about 4 litres before I added mass to the rather thin walls.

Plywood was added along with some wool felt. using WinISd I went for a tune of 85Hz with a 30mm port x 90mm long. I went for an alignment that gave a slight rise in response from about 150 down to the roll off.

They sound great. Only limited listening so far. Powered from my Denon Avr, they are the 'fronts of my HT system but I also listen to music in stereo. I have a tpa3255 on order! They are used with a sub so low duties are helped but even with the sub tuned well down on level, these little things sound good. The staging is incredible. So much more spacious than my previous Monitor Audio Radius 90.

I intend to make a centre speaker to compliment .

20180924_172414.jpg 20180924_152611.jpg

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Nice job mate. I'd also consider experimenting with bracing in the future.

Yes I was too lazy and hasty to bother with bracing as the box sides aren't square so would have taken a bit more work.!
Cool... Wouldn't the box be rattling away?

Oon

Why so?

Nice work!

I built a pair with the 3FE25 and found them very bright, what are your comments on FR? Did you use any BSC? I intend to when I redesign the cabinets for mine for a kitchen sound system.

Also, where did you get the ports from?

Nice one!

Ports from Willys hi fi.
Reflex Ports - Willys-Hifi Ltd

They are getting unfiltered signal at the moment. BSC is something I am aware of. They are bright so maybe would benefit from that. I like bright. I had +6db of treble from the avr with the MA Radius but have backed it off flat for these.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Nice cabinet idea! I don’t have wood shop either so make foam core speakers. The 3FE25 sounds exceptionally well in a 0.40x scale Karlsonator. Perhaps one of the favorite boxes for this driver. It has sufficient bass gain that BSC is not needed. In a regular bass reflex box typically I use 1mH and 4ohms to 6.8ohms as BSC to even things out.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have the ferrite version, and its 4" bigger brother. Both very nice drivers.
Yes, they are bright - it's that rising response on axis that does it. You can use BSC or you can tame the top end. A small series inductor with a bypass resistor works wonders.

I have the ferrite version, and its 4" bigger brother. Both very nice drivers.
Yes, they are bright - it's that rising response on axis that does it. You can use BSC or you can tame the top end. A small series inductor with a bypass resistor works wonders.

It's far better to just put two pieces of dense open cell foam on each side of the driver, leaving a vertical ca. one inch opening. Experiment with thickness and spread.

This will attenuate some of the highs and works as a non resonant acoustic lens, improving the axial response in the highs.

A sharp peak like the one around 12 Khz like with this driver looks like simple but temperamental uncontrolled breakup.
This is cured very well by foam, when it's this high.

A very smart little cabinet!

I have this problem when I upload photos straight from my phone. To get round it I email them pics to myself and upload from a desktop machine. I think it's something to do with formatting but I'm not sure.

This has got me excited to revist my 3FE25s! It will be my first time tackling BSC and what Squeak says about an acoustic solution is interesting. Would heavy felt work?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.