Back Loaded Horn enclosure for Audio Nirvana Super 8 Alnico

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!
I have been many days looking for a back loaded enclousure for my pair of AN8 super alnico.

The initial project was a BLH for fe206en that are resting in their boxes. Although, my main setup, a pair of AN8 in a BR (fostex recommended) would be upgraded.

The finalist are Kirishima Manifold vs Fe208ez recommended BLH.

Would you suggest me any other option?
Any insights?

Thank in advance.

Ps. I have found many post from 2008-2014 about BLH, but the interest seems decrease. Am I right?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
AN8 super alnico

an8alnico.jpg

This driver is a very different beast. We modeled the Ferrite version and it wasn’t really suitable for a horn. The specs on these deviate by a huge amount. On 1st look at the Qts, it would look best suited for an OB (maybe even without helper woofer), or a big aperiodic box or a Boofle. Bigun did the latter for his AN 15” (similar kind of specs wrt box description) and is very happy.

attachment.php

Looks like you might be able to get away with 100 litres aperiodic or a bit smaller Boofle (at the expense of bass extention). F10 into the 20s, but room will play a big role.

an8alnicospecs.jpg

dave

Attachments

• AN8SuperAlnico-sealed.png
    AN8SuperAlnico-sealed.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 967
Being a high Q (Qt > 0.707) driver with a 102.234Hz mass corner (Fh) & an 89.66 litre Vas the 8in AN AlNiCo is, practically speaking, not well suited to use in a back horn.

Better AFAIK to use its effective Qes [Qes'] to set the horn's mass corner, which pushes it somewhat lower to the point where Klipsch's little 'Rebel' corner horn tuned to Fs or below should in theory work well enough even if just his false corners are used. Another option would be a large DBR.

GM

But why back loaded?
You will always get interference from the reverse phase coming out of the back of the driver and screwing up the sound.I have built several and they all sounded strange in that regard.
Imaging in particular is really odd .Every driver I have tried sounded better in an box.

But why back loaded?
You will always get interference from the reverse phase coming out of the back of the driver and screwing up the sound.I have built several and they all sounded strange in that regard.
Imaging in particular is really odd .Every driver I have tried sounded better in an box.
The original plan was a BLH to Fe206en, then I thought to upgrade my main system AN8 alnico. Maybe the BLH would work for both.

You will always get interference from the reverse phase coming out of the back of the driver and screwing up the sound.

True and if the horn's upper mass corner is in the mids as is often the case nowadays, then definitely can be too much of a compromise, but have you done one where the horn's 'turnover' frequency [Fhm] to the driver is at < ~150 Hz? This low, folks generally can't differentiate phasing issues as witnessed regularly with 'sub' woofer systems that can be hundreds of degrees out of phase.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.