Back Loaded Horn enclosure for Audio Nirvana Super 8 Alnico

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Better AFAIK to use its effective Qes [Qes'] to set the horn's mass corner, which pushes it somewhat lower to the point where Klipsch's little 'Rebel' corner horn tuned to Fs or below should in theory work well enough even if just his false corners are used. Another option would be a large DBR.

Fair point, my bad. I've heard the whizzerless 'Classic' version of this unit in a big sealed box & it's quite nice, so certainly worth looking at.

re: spider - whatever Gui-sound / Nirvana uses - I would never trust their spec as my Super10 came with ~49Hz fs (fine for my purposes - maybe not for others)

https://i.imgur.com/dHdfPBm.jpg

Nirvana's rise would be countered pretty much in a Karlson (its baffle tilt and possible BP gain). I don't think its as bad as some FR. One could experiment with a foamboard or cardboard lens
such as the JBL shape: https://i.imgur.com/E3MneZr.jpg

LR baffle step compensation makes sense a lot of times

some drivers seem to stiffen - a lot. I have sets of Peavey15cx and Peavey18s - both a half octave above spec and
could not be driven down even to the point of the magnets getting warm. I've got A12FR University with 119Hz fs. A guy once brought over an ancient Norelco cloth
surround speaker - its fs was in the 30s(!)

VjcAXpF.gif

Last edited:
The AN drivers are all over the place when you look at their spec. sheets. For me, there are very few of them worth considering and none of those are the Classic series - too little dispersion. The three I like the look of (I have the AN Super 15" Ferrite which they no longer offer) are the top-draw super expensive 8" AlNiCo , the 15" Super AlNiCo and the 12" Super. But what the AN Super 15" Ferrite does well, it does superbly. As it's no longer available I'd look at the 12" Super Ferrite as the closest equivalent. If it sounds as good as the one I have then it's the best value driver they sell and well worth using (in a Boffle I would add).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.