Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Terry Cain's Abby and the Fostex 166esr
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th September 2018, 09:00 PM   #1
JosephL is offline JosephL  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Terry Cain's Abby and the Fostex 166esr

I have a pair of Fostex 166esr on a shelf, part of the to do list. Does anyone have a plan of the Abby cabinet? I am assuming that they are not being produced as a commercial product by Terry's family. I did the search function, and found some discussions, however no actual plan.

Thanks, Joseph
Old 18th September 2018, 09:20 PM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Joseph - Dave at Planet10 can pipe in here, but IIRC, Scott Lindgren and he drafted something a few years ago that was along those same lines, but for reasons that currently escape my recollection, I don’t think they were ever published. Beltane, or some such pagan solstice festival name?
Old 18th September 2018, 09:26 PM   #3
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, there is a Festival Series, but they ar efor the 1st gen Alpairs, and were removed from distribution.

FE166esR really wants to be in a horn (Ron’s Austin A166 or Victor, with corners Frugel-Horn XL), something like FF165wk works better in Abby than any of the drivers ever supplied with Abby.

dave
Old 18th September 2018, 09:43 PM   #4
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephL View Post
I have a pair of Fostex 166esr on a shelf, part of the to do list. Does anyone have a plan of the Abby cabinet? I am assuming that they are not being produced as a commercial product by Terry's family. I did the search function, and found some discussions, however no actual plan.
You won't. They were a commercial product, not a DIY offering and as far as I know they died with the company. No plans were ever released.

I seem to remember Terry tried the FE166ES-R in the Abby but not surprisingly it wasn't an ideal match; it's over-damped & that big motor structure also choked the pipe somewhat. You could to a point correct for the former with a high output impedance amplifier or significant series R, the latter is more problematic. That unit really wants a big[ger] horn.
Old 19th September 2018, 08:46 AM   #5
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Yeah, with 6.5 ohms series resistance [based on published specs], a ~Vb = Vas, ~Fb = Fs Abby is doable where the Abby appears to be basically the old Lowther club's Voigt Pipe tuned to 50 Hz with an added BSC/supra baffle and modest spiked? base:
Cain & Cain Loudspeakers
Lowther Club Of Norway - The Voigt Pipe

GM

edit: based on a ~2*50/0.42 Qts' mass corner the supra baffle in theory should be ~12.82"/32.56 cm in diameter.

Last edited by GM; 19th September 2018 at 09:03 AM.
Old 19th September 2018, 02:11 PM   #6
Godzilla is offline Godzilla  United States
diyAudio Member

This was fun to look at again.

http://archive.is/y64f
Old 19th September 2018, 03:56 PM   #7
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Interesting! Thanks! I don't recall this collection or either his name or moniker.

GM
Old 19th September 2018, 05:05 PM   #8
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Neither do I. I see a couple of the projects are from the late SDS; glad somebody else had archived them. OK, a few of these old projects remind me of the old Top Gear comment: 'Some say he only knows two facts about ducks, and both of them are wrong', but still interesting.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 19th September 2018 at 05:07 PM.
Old 20th September 2018, 02:36 AM   #9
blumenco is offline blumenco  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Blumenstein Audio owns Cain & Cain Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
You won't. They were a commercial product, not a DIY offering and as far as I know they died with the company. No plans were ever released.

I seem to remember Terry tried the FE166ES-R in the Abby but not surprisingly it wasn't an ideal match; it's over-damped & that big motor structure also choked the pipe somewhat. You could to a point correct for the former with a high output impedance amplifier or significant series R, the latter is more problematic. That unit really wants a big[ger] horn.
Hi Scott! As some of you know I was an apprentice of Terry Cain's for four years before he passed away.

Contrary to rumor, I currently own the name and rights to the Cain & Cain product line, as Lovecraft Designs (Jason Flannary) who is long out of business by now, never actually bought the name or licensing.

As a matter of fact, I am currently designing a few reissued Cain & Cain models that will be released as acoustically/electrically updated editions in Birch plywood or Bamboo ply with new driver options in some cases. The first model up for reissue is actually the Walla Walla Wall of sound using the Fostex FE168EZ.

I also now offer an $99 acoustic and internal wire upgrade kit for historic Cain & Cain models that is similar to the Depth of Field kit I offer for older Blumenstein full range speakers.

Back to the question at hand, I actually own the FE166ES-R and love them in a variety of speakers. They were great in the Abby's. As has been mentioned, some modification is necessary to get the magnet to fit. I did not find them overdamped. They worked great in the Abby's but I do prefer a back loaded horn for them.

Cheers!

Clark
Old 20th September 2018, 02:41 AM   #10
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
This was fun to look at again.
He could have at least spelled Voigt right.

It looks like a collection of sites, i have links to many of those as individual pages across the interweb.

dave

Terry Cain's Abby and the Fostex 166esrHide this!Advertise here!