Terry Cain's Abby and the Fostex 166esr

Clark answered that one above a while back:

...As some of you know I was an apprentice of Terry Cain's for four years before he passed away.

Contrary to rumor, I currently own the name and rights to the Cain & Cain product line, as Lovecraft Designs (Jason Flannary) who is long out of business by now, never actually bought the name or licensing...

Clark

I'm very glad he does; he's better placed than anybody to reintroduce parts of the C&C range should he wish to do so.

Last edited:
I know the Abby is a commercial product and I think I’m very close to an end speaker and this is Diyaudio ! If I was close to the oval port measurements and proper stuffing above the driver , I’d be very happy , being most of us can’t afford the asking price for a new pair of Abby’s! Did I mention this is Diyaudio and most of the information comes up FOBIDDEN!!!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You can still buy Abby?

An ML-V for FF165wk (or FE166) is doable if not already done. And there are many ML-V for other drivers. The Woden Festival Series (some cost, some free) are an example of designs pre-saged by Abby.

Abby BTW is a guessed speaker, and one can do better by starting with a well-done sim.

dave

Without my notes, all I remember was that it was one of many variations me n' others did, just done up in a fabulous finish about the time 'we' were discussing adding the driver sub baffles to help with BSC; the oval vent was just a cosmetic tweak.

edit: Should have reread the thread, it's apparently all here.

Last edited:
3BCB47DD-0C4A-4ACD-AE8E-73D388AE590B.jpg

Attachments

• 3BCB47DD-0C4A-4ACD-AE8E-73D388AE590B.jpg
    3BCB47DD-0C4A-4ACD-AE8E-73D388AE590B.jpg
    990.1 KB · Views: 219
Certainly Clark has more current presence in that area, but as noted above, it looks like he didn’t continue with that part of the C&C legacy.
To be honest, where Terry still around, he might well experiment with some of the more recent computer modelled designs. I for one would love to get his take on the Mark Audi9 drivers.

Yes Still waiting for my FF165 WK’s . Tell me what dimensions you need to do a Sim ? First of all it’s 3/4 inch 13 ply , no void birch ply wood through out . outside dimensions are 72 1/4 inches high , 10 1/8 inches wide , and 1 1/2 inches at top down to 10 1/8 inches at bottom . I’m using the slanted side of the cabinet for the driver from bottom of cabinet 38 inches up to center of driver, the donut / super baffle is 14 inches in diameter and also made of 3/4 13 ply birch plywood . The oval port is 7 3/8 inches wide ,a 1 1/2 hole on both ends and 2 1/4 inches in center , which I feel has to be slightly larger. I have a piece of 3/4 ply 14 inches x 16 inches to stablize the box with small spikes that could be larger. The back of the cabinet is screwed together only for mods if needed. I noticed there are 2 thoughts of damping poly fill from top of driver to top of cabinet or just from below driver to top , back and sides of cabinet , any help would be appreciated????????? Thanks