Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Enclosure for CHR70 or FE126En with good bass and reasonable complexity
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2018, 02:49 PM   #1
DontHertzMe is offline DontHertzMe  South Africa
No Morse
diyAudio Member

Default Enclosure for CHR70 or FE126En with good bass and reasonable complexity

Hi all,

While attempting to organise my parts cupboard (no mean feat!) I came across a forgotten pair of Omnes Audio BB4.AL (revoiced CHR-70), and a pair of FE126En.

Given that size is not an issue, what enclosure is a good choice for either (or both) of these driver models? Decent bass would be a big plus. So would a straightforward build - my tools and stamina are somewhat limited, thus smoothed curves and complex guts will be tricky .

Heck, if there's a dead-simple but competent-sounding smaller build I'd also consider that.

What do you reckon?
Old 16th September 2018, 04:22 PM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

For the FE126, I’d suggest the Woden Valiant, or FH3
Woden Design | Valiant

Plans for the FH3 are easily found

Both have curves to side panels that are functional, the Valiant is the slightly more complex build internally- all 90dg folds - but for my money delivers more of the “decent bass” department than the Frugels

Last edited by chrisb; 16th September 2018 at 04:32 PM.
Old 16th September 2018, 07:12 PM   #3
scnokc77 is offline scnokc77  United States
diyAudio Member

Chubby Tower for the CHR70; I'm kind of a newb but this is the first set of speakers I've owned that I actually enjoy listening to in "pure audio" mode.
Old 16th September 2018, 10:27 PM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Yeah, the CHRs don’t need anywhere as near elaborate an enclosure loading scheme to deliver reasonably good bass response. If you have the floorspace, either the Pensil https://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/mark...map-310709.pdf, or FH3 would be my suggestions. The Pensil is a pretty darned simple build.
Old 17th September 2018, 10:25 PM   #5
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

There are a number of big Woden MLTLs that will get the most bass from CHR. It should also work in the even bigger Maeshowe (Woden Horn).

The FE126En needs a big horn to get bass. Valiant or RonHorn A126 will maximze bass… if you have corners the Frugel-Horn Mk3 does a passable job, and has the fewest pieces.

Note that Maeshowe & Valiant are kissing cousins. Woden Design

dave

Enclosure for CHR70 or FE126En with good bass and reasonable complexityHide this!Advertise here!