What Material is the Diaphragm of Yamaha HS5/7/8 Made From?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not likely. I may be wrong here, but afaik yamaha designs and makes their own drivers Not many models that are available outside of the controlled channels.
Yeah I know, I was kidding.. (tho it is a dream)

Yamaha wouldn't want to lose such a profit maker for them.

But If this driver was available for purchase, it could've been amazing.

Imagine building a speaker pair with 3 of them on each side.
Or 2 of them, and 1 of the 8" driver from the HS8..

Terrific sound, in a beautiful looking white speaker.

When thinking of it, technically what I wrote now is possible.
If someone is willing to spend the amount needed for buying 2 HS7 Pairs, and 1 HS8 pair, and disassemble it,
he will have 2 6.5" pairs, and 1 8" pair of Yamaha's wonderful drivers..

Seeing how people invest much more than that on hi-fi equipment, this is not such a crazy idea.

Last edited:
On the other hand, you keep saying 'it's a terrific sounding driver'. Except, unless I've missed something (I haven't read the thread closely), you presumably haven't actually been listening to just the drive unit. You were listening to a loudspeaker of which the drive unit is / are only a part; the implementation in a multiway (crossover frequency, slopes, EQ as appropriate) have just as much influence on the end result / sound as the raw drive unit per se, and you can't separate them out without listening to the raw driver itself sans any filtering or other driver units operating. Often not even then, since most multiway drivers by nature are specifically designed to be used with a crossover & don't sound very good without any filtering as their characteristics are not optimised in that direction.

Like most other things, it's possible to buy a ready-made LM3886TF amplifier module in eBay :)

LM3886_TF.jpg

Assembled 68W+68W HiFi LM3886TF Stereo Amplifier AMP Board 50W*2 / 38W*2 R3D5 | eBay

It's 11$,
but it seems that it doesn't take VCC and Gnd,
but V+, Gnd, V-..

Does this mean that you must use a transformer for supplying power to it?
Or there's a way to get the V- from a Switching power supply too?

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi, most 'low budget' nearfield use this kind of chipamp.
Alesis, Maudio, Yamaha....
Either Lmxxx or Tdaxxxx in the one i've seen. This is a nice cheap way to have small form factor quality amp.
About psu i've seen smps and passive used.
Both have their strength and weakness:
_ smps are lightweight and have (subjectively) tighter bass ( Alesis, smps+Lmxxx) but they are known to fail with this particular model (M1 active);
_ passive are simpler and easier to fix but for the one i serviced when they failed they took the chip amp away with them (older Bx8 iirc tda7293 for the low way). Subjectively this particular one sounded less controlled in low but it may be something else that the psu (or sum of multiple things). They produced more spl than the Alesis ( bigger woofer and more power), sounded ok.

There is not so many processing in this minimonitor: in the Bx8 there was the filter and maybe and one or two band of eq, the Alesis have a little bit more band of eq and locals psu regulators for the 'processing'.
Not rocket science.
The Alesis are mine and the psu failed 2 years ago. I still don't know what to do about it, either find a suitable smps (which is not going to be easy as they have aux rail requirements which don't seem standard) or rebuild the psu passive.
They are nice handy little portable speakers but nothing to wrote a book about it imho, maybe they don't deserve the money to fix them.

I would at least consider the TPA3250 (very good for a class D amp, better s/n ratio than many of the cheaper LM3886 implementations.), it's not too expensive, sounds good, easy to find a suitable psu if you want to change it.

Edit:
Or get this 4 channel TPA3251 and get a cheap 36V PSU from Meanwell.

Edit2:
For xo you can use your computer and Voicemeeter Banana, or a VST host with filter plugins, or EqualizerAPO etc. etc.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Seems like using a Class AB amplifier makes the Power part more complicated..

Are there maybe Class AB amplifiers that simply take Gnd and 12v?

Yes, TDA7297 - aka the “Lunch Money Amp” they can go up to 19v with either a cap multiplier to drop it 4v to 15v and sounds very good. 19v straight works but it gets pretty hot and I am not sure how long it will work at that voltage. With a few simple mods this $5 amp (fully built board) can sound great. There is a huge thread discussing this $5amp. You can make a DIY version with all the bells and whistles if you want (Destroyer OS makes one).

What the heck? It's less than lunch!

Last edited:
I would at least consider the TPA3250 (very good for a class D amp, better s/n ratio than many of the cheaper LM3886 implementations.), it's not too expensive, sounds good, easy to find a suitable psu if you want to change it.
Hmm
The idea was to experiment with a Class AB amplifier, to see what the effect on sound would be..

Yes, TDA7297 - aka the “Lunch Money Amp” they can go up to 19v and sound very good. With a few simple mods they can sound great.
Great, will try it then, due to the simpler requirements..

BTW,
After seeing SMSL AD18, I also wanted to try and play with a Fully Digital Amplifier.

Is there such amplifier that comes on a module and can be bought?
(instead of buying the 145$ SMSL AD18 right from the start)

People write reviews that these amplifiers give beautiful clarity..

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi,
The psu rail(s) voltage(s) are parts of what define the power the amplifier is able to produce (with amperes the amplifier is able to produce).

Low voltage single psu rail equal to low power output. If the transducer used was high efficiency and (or) low impedance this could not be an issue but in this case of minimonitors this isn't the case for efficiency ( impedance of drivers will depend but don't expect lower than 4ohms).

As KaffiMann suggest a best bet is multiple chanel classD with smps (you can find dedicated audio smps reasonnable price: Switched-mode Power Supply | Connex Electronic ).

But to be honnest once you sum all the parts you'll need ( drivers, box, amp, psu, electronic filter and eq, finishing) you'll blow the budget of a commercial offers as already pointed.
Maybe you should try to find second hand monitors from studios. There is a lot of them and within the price range you could really find 'gems'.
It's been a while since i have looked at the second hand price but something like 90's Tannoy powered system800, NHT proA20 ( the one with asymetric box) or Quested Vs2108 will take you many step behind what you could afford new at the moment (given you favor same things as me).
That said you won't have the pleasure of diy...

I am not into buying used stuff..

I do understand that there are advantages to used products, like more selection, and products that are not manufactured anymore,
but it's a matter of preference.

The HS7 monitors are affordable, their price is definitely not in the sky.

My other questions about other things are just for experimenting with slightly different sound,
to know the differences between amplifier types, DAC mfrrs, etc..

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I understand your point.

The thing about the second hand proaudio stuff is that they are (usually) well engineered ( read easily serviced with typically obtainable parts -in the reference given only NHT is out of business -which is a shame- and drivers are difficult to find, but Seas still exist! ;) ) and build to last forever (or next to) under abuse.
This isn't even talking about sound quality which is on par with hifi costing a lot, lot more.
(Edit: except the Nht the other reference exist passive and are cheaper than their active powered equivalent : the Tannoy are around 400euros around here, Quested are rare here but in same price range, Nht are still half their original retail price though... around 1500euro second hand. )

Have fun with your project!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.