TC9FD18-08 is Out of Stock. Any other good driver like it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I was warmly recommended to use the TC9FD18-08, when creating Computer Speakers.

Time passed, and I now wanted to order it, but it seems that it is out of stock in Parts Express..
"OUT OF STOCK Due In: 02-Nov-2018"
Peerless by Tymphany TC9FD18-08 3-1/2" Full Range Paper Cone Woofer

My 2 question are:

1) Is there maybe another place that I can buy it from?
(with hopefully not-too-expensive International Shipping..)

2) Is there another nice driver by Peerless by Tymphany that I should buy instead?
For example,
the above mentioned TC9FD18-08 is a 3.5" driver..
Won't a 4" or 5" driver from the same company and same line, will be even a little bit better than it?

Thank you very much

Last edited:
Appears to be in stock at Madisound as of time of typing: Vifa TC9FD18-08, 3.5" Full Range
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-3-fullrange/vifa-tc9fd18-08-3.5-full-range/
Wow, thank you very much!

The shipping there is even slightly more comfortable than Parts Express's.

When I add 2 TC9FD18-08 drivers to my cart in PE, and then Estimate Shipping, I get 50$ as the cheapest option..
In Madisound the cheapest is 36$.. That's an improvement :)
Any chance there is a store that might have an even better International Shipping cost?

There is also the fiberglass cone model which is equally good / superior, albeit at a higher price:
Peerless TG9FD10-08 3.5" Fiberglass Full Range 8 ohm
Thank you
It seems that I like fiberglass less..
Paper is better for me.

Also some plastics can be good..

What about slightly bigger sizes?
Won't 4" or 5" sound even better and get to lower frequencies?

'Sound better' rather depends on personal opinion, so I can't really comment on that, other than noting the 3 1/2in Vifa units are amongst the flattest widebanders in terms of response. You can certainly get lower with some larger units (albeit this is enclosure dependent so we're not strictly comparing like with like), and probably with less LF distortion, which is a major consideration with small wideband drivers when tuned low. But whether you would prefer them is another question. Perhaps, perhaps not.

It also depends how you plan to use the TC9....

If you plan to put the TC9 in tiny enclosures each side of your computer screen, I wouldn't expect any kind of low bass....

Having a good driver is only part of the story. A good and fitting enclosure is another part...

Well... what are the enclosures?
The only enclosure I have heard the TC9 produce any kind of meaningful bass was in X's mini-karlsonators.
(unless you use 50 of them... then two towers do produce meaningful bass!)

For me, there's a wall behind my computer screen, so, enclosures could be hanging on the wall.

My plan is to create a box that is H17xW15xD18 (cm)
I have a wall behind the screen too..
Hanging them could mean a better location for them, in terms of height..
Instead of lower, on the desk.
That's a nice option..

I like putting them on a wall, so it frees more desk space.

If you go that way, and enjoy strong lows and mids in a small enclosure, then the TABAQ is surely something you would enjoy very much.

It's a simple build, that sounds way bigger than it should.

It uses either a 3" or 4" driver that matches the design. 3" gives you a bit more high end, 4", a bit more low end.

Trouble is... the TC9 is not a good match for the TABAQ. I'd go with something like the 3FE25, the PS95, or any other suggestion you can find in the TABAQ thread.

Have a look, it's over 100 pages long! (so, just do a search in that thread for drivers you would like to use):

TABAQ TL for Tang Band

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.