Fostex question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
Some years ago I built a couple of back loaded horns using Fostex FE206E drivers. However recently one got fried. I see the FE206E is now the FE206En, an 'improved' version. I read great things about them, however, in it's customer reviews at Madisound they talk about an "almost painfully" hot high end. Has anyone heard the FE206En and can comment on this allegation as well as give their opinion as to their sound quality?
I built the BLHs according to plans for the FE206E, can I assume they work with the FE206En?
Finally, does anyone know of other drivers in the $100-225 range that are the equal of or superior to the FE206En when used in a back loaded horn?
Many thanks, I'm in a real bind

Hello,

Some years ago I built a couple of back loaded horns using Fostex FE206E drivers. However recently one got fried. I see the FE206E is now the FE206En, an 'improved' version. I read great things about them, however, in it's customer reviews at Madisound they talk about an "almost painfully" hot high end. Has anyone heard the FE206En and can comment on this allegation as well as give their opinion as to their sound quality?

I built the BLHs according to plans for the FE206E, can I assume they work with the FE206En?

Finally, does anyone know of other drivers in the $100-225 range that are the equal of or superior to the FE206En when used in a back loaded horn?

Many thanks, I'm in a real bind

The updated En model has several minor improvements but has the same signature sound. Having heard both, I would say the En has less peaky sound and overall better.

FE 208 - Sol
20 cm cone type full range unit

※ Limited to 300

standard price

¥ 35,000 + consumption tax

FE208-Sol_FreqResponse.jpg

Main Specifications
format

20 cm cone type full range unit
Impedance

8 Ω
Lowest resonance frequency

43 Hz
Playback frequency band

f 0 to 20 kHz
Output sound pressure level

96 dB / 1 w (m)
Input (MUS.)

100 W (NOM 35 W)
m 0

14.3 g
Q 0

Effective vibration radius

8.1 cm
Magnet mass

3672 g (1836 g × 2 pcs.)
mass

8.7 kg
Baffle opening size

φ 186 mm

Last edited:
I find the 206en not that great sounding. Dynamic indeed at the expense of tonality.
In the fostex range I find the ff225wk much nicer sounding, however it needs a tweeter.
You can run the 225wk full range and add a tweeter. Despite its f curve it is actually smooth and warm sounding. it works well in a simple bass reflex box.
Tangband should be good but I never heard them.

Theoretically you could install any driver that’d fit into the existing BLH and they’d “work” -as in coverting electrical energy into a combination of heat and linear stroke motion producing sound- but if you were not unhappy with the performance of the original 206s, I’d be inclined to go for the current model.

Keep in mind of course that they will require some “break-in”, and will continue to exhibit the dynamically forward presentation and rising FR for which the FE series are renown.

Chrisb thanks for catching me up on 'work'. I'm not unhappy with the sound quality but I know it could be improved and I thought this would be a good opportunity to try and do so, without going too far over budget, that is. Has anyone heard the 206en (or e) with any of the suggested modifications (damping basket, removal of dustcap, phase plug, adding foam surround etc), the Tang Band W8-1772 or MarkAudio Alpair 12P? Do you think either of these would be compatible with my 206e based BLH. It seems to me that drivers with light cones, low Qts and high efficiency are well suited for a BLH, or is there more to it than that. Any other 'affordable'($>250) drivers come to mind?

Ray21, may I ask what you replaced them with?

I replaced them with the FF225WK. I found the FF225WK more laid back and very pleasant to listen to, and it made very respectable bass in the DBR. The top end needed some help, so I added rear-firing FT17H super tweeters rolled in with a capacitor. It think it does everything just right.

I realize the DBR likely wasn't the optimal enclosure for the FE206en, but even relieved of anything below 200hz it just didn't suit me. I even cut the dust caps and added some phase plugs, but it was a marginal improvement.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.