Veneering - issues on edges

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

Are there any ways of hiding veneer cutting mistakes at box edges. The veneer I am using tend to crumble when cut across the pattern. Can it be sanded or covered with something?

Thats my first build BTW.

Simonas

Attachments

• IMG_20180914_234434_HHT.jpg
    IMG_20180914_234434_HHT.jpg
    501.6 KB · Views: 318
How are you cutting the overlapping edge? Anything less than scalpel sharp will tear the end grain veneer much easier than the face with parallel grain pattern. A veneer flush trimming device or a very sharp flush cutting bit on a trim router have always worked well for me. And veneer the front facing surfaces last so that the overlap exposed edge is less visible

I cut with the veneered surface facing down on a melamine panel which gives good support. Very sharp blade is essential and then I do the final trim with a coarse bastard file with the cutting direction from the top of the veneer to away. Final sanding takes care of the rest.

I've done 50+ speakers as well as furniture without chipping issues. However, some hardwoods can be a pain.

Thanks for all advices. I have used paper knife with some success, it is actually quite sharp.. got to know by cutting my fingers lol :) I also followed similar workflow like rabbitz described, but still got few chips and uneven cuts.

Since there's no going back I am thinking on options on how to hide the edges. Would covering it with thin tape and varnishing/staining work? Also thinking on putting thin plastic cover over edges, not sure if that would look terrible.

Simonas

I’ve generally used paper backed veneers, but I think rabbitz has given the best advice so far. On the few times I’ve used thicker non backed veneers, I found the router trimming approach too easy to produce cross grain tear outs, and would leave at least 1/2” overhang and trim with a 2” wide thick chisel in a series of short downward arcing strokes, followed by sanding with 150, then 220G on a hard block in downstrokes. The PSA backed discs available for random orbit sanders are great for that.

if it is a real wood veneer, sand it and fill the imperfection with wood filler and sand it again until its look good. Than stain/wax or paint

Next time, protecting the veneer with tape before cutting as Adason said. But I will left 0.5mm veneer away the edge and then fine sanding it along the grain. If you really want a perfect edges as factory finishing, you need to cut the veneer 45 degree on each edge. I will do this 45 degree cut on the left/right/top only since it is too difficult to make all edges perfect fit to the box.

With a lot of patience you can fill in the tear outs with small slithers of the veneer cut to size and thickness and glued in. After sanding it looks fine and if done well hardly noticeable to others. Wood filler can work but it hard to get a match as it looks very different raw to when clear coated.

A small 45° bevel can work and look fine even if it shows the underlying MDF. Machining the corners and adding timber mouldings can work but requires a lot of effort.

If it's iron on veneer you can heat it and take it off and start again and if it's glued, add another layer over the top after filling the tear outs.

A router trimming bit can do a good job on veneer when used with care but the thing to watch is when you come near the end of the pass is to lift off as the bit will tear out the next face that is parallel to the bit blades.

The best idea is to trim over size and hand file and sand back to give a flush corner.

Thanks for all the help guys, this is an amazing community. Can't believe how much useful stuff is already here and getting so much help almost real-time :)

I did use rabbitz advice and cover imperfections with small pieces and also LeoJar advice to use a lot of sanding afterwards. Finished it by varnishing with semi glossy lacquer. Can't say I am super happy with the final result, but it looks good for a first build. I will definitely know how to improve next time :)

Hi guys,

Are there any ways of hiding veneer cutting mistakes at box edges. The veneer I am using tend to crumble when cut across the pattern. Can it be sanded or covered with something?

Thats my first build BTW.

Simonas

IMO....

Fill any gaps and sand lightly. Also try sanding a very small bevel into the edge of the veneer to hide/blend/avoid showing uneven cut edges. Careful doing this as too far will remove all of the veneer from the edge.

Some good ideas for next time have been mentioned. Taping the edges will help a bit. I quite like the idea of placing a melamine/formica board under the speaker when cutting edges too.

J.

I'm a little late to the party, but if you work carefully to save your sanding dust, you can use it to fill in holes or voids. Just apply a drop of glue with tooth pick, spread it around as best as you can, then press in the saw dust. Let it dry and then gently sand. If you still have a void, add more glue and press in more saw dust. I had to do this when my router tore out a spot while I was flush trimming some hard wood.

Here is one example and here is another. Each is a little different from your situation, but I think the same general approach might work.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.