Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Veneering - issues on edges
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th September 2018, 08:54 PM   #1
transcendent is offline transcendent
diyAudio Member

Default Veneering - issues on edges

Hi guys,

Are there any ways of hiding veneer cutting mistakes at box edges. The veneer I am using tend to crumble when cut across the pattern. Can it be sanded or covered with something?

Thats my first build BTW.

Simonas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180914_234434_HHT.jpg (501.6 KB, 269 views)
Old 14th September 2018, 09:20 PM   #2
Hoo19 is offline Hoo19
diyAudio Member

How are you cutting the overlapping edge? Anything less than scalpel sharp will tear the end grain veneer much easier than the face with parallel grain pattern. A veneer flush trimming device or a very sharp flush cutting bit on a trim router have always worked well for me. And veneer the front facing surfaces last so that the overlap exposed edge is less visible
Old 15th September 2018, 01:41 AM   #3
mikejennens is offline mikejennens  United States
This speaker DIY thing, it's pretty addicting!
diyAudio Member

I had that happen to me too. I used a 45 degree router bit to take it down past the tear-out. I then taped off the veneer right at the edge and used black spray paint to give it an overall black beveled edge. Not ideal, but it looked better than ragged edges.
Mike
Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, Paul Carmody's Sunflowers, Jeff Bagby's Continuums; Planet 10 HiFi's MarkAudio A 7.3 Frugalhorns and MarkAudio CHP-70s, Nola Brio Clones with a Voxel Sub and a bunch of others...
Old 15th September 2018, 02:19 AM   #4
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

It helps to tape the veneer before cutting with temporary tape. Just like during painting.
So you cut through the tape on surface.
Old 15th September 2018, 08:15 AM   #5
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

I cut with the veneered surface facing down on a melamine panel which gives good support. Very sharp blade is essential and then I do the final trim with a coarse bastard file with the cutting direction from the top of the veneer to away. Final sanding takes care of the rest.

I've done 50+ speakers as well as furniture without chipping issues. However, some hardwoods can be a pain.
Old 15th September 2018, 08:20 AM   #6
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Sequence helps hiding some issues and end grain.

Start with bottom > back > sides > top > front (sides and top can be reversed depending on what you are after).

Last edited by rabbitz; 15th September 2018 at 08:23 AM.
Old 15th September 2018, 09:12 AM   #7
transcendent is offline transcendent
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all advices. I have used paper knife with some success, it is actually quite sharp.. got to know by cutting my fingers lol I also followed similar workflow like rabbitz described, but still got few chips and uneven cuts.

Since there's no going back I am thinking on options on how to hide the edges. Would covering it with thin tape and varnishing/staining work? Also thinking on putting thin plastic cover over edges, not sure if that would look terrible.

Simonas
Old 15th September 2018, 03:01 PM   #8
BrockLanders is offline BrockLanders  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Jigsaw blade with 1.2mm tooth spacing will leave all edges like fine sanded.
Old 15th September 2018, 03:58 PM   #9
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

I’ve generally used paper backed veneers, but I think rabbitz has given the best advice so far. On the few times I’ve used thicker non backed veneers, I found the router trimming approach too easy to produce cross grain tear outs, and would leave at least 1/2” overhang and trim with a 2” wide thick chisel in a series of short downward arcing strokes, followed by sanding with 150, then 220G on a hard block in downstrokes. The PSA backed discs available for random orbit sanders are great for that.
Old 15th September 2018, 05:46 PM   #10
Ray21 is offline Ray21  United States
diyAudio Member

I've had good luck with a downshear flush trim router bit. This one in particular is what I use:

Freud 3/4" (Dia.) Downshear Helix Flush Trim Bit with 1/2" Shank (42-204) - Trim Router Bits - Amazon.com

I tape off where the roller on the bit rides on the speaker and then do a similar sanding routine as chrisb to get it perfectly flush.

Veneering - issues on edgesHide this!Advertise here!