Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Veneering - issues on edges
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th September 2018, 06:08 PM   #11
LeoJar is offline LeoJar  Canada
diyAudio Member

if it is a real wood veneer, sand it and fill the imperfection with wood filler and sand it again until its look good. Than stain/wax or paint

Next time, protecting the veneer with tape before cutting as Adason said. But I will left 0.5mm veneer away the edge and then fine sanding it along the grain. If you really want a perfect edges as factory finishing, you need to cut the veneer 45 degree on each edge. I will do this 45 degree cut on the left/right/top only since it is too difficult to make all edges perfect fit to the box.
Old 16th September 2018, 06:46 AM   #12
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

With a lot of patience you can fill in the tear outs with small slithers of the veneer cut to size and thickness and glued in. After sanding it looks fine and if done well hardly noticeable to others. Wood filler can work but it hard to get a match as it looks very different raw to when clear coated.

A small 45 bevel can work and look fine even if it shows the underlying MDF. Machining the corners and adding timber mouldings can work but requires a lot of effort.

If it's iron on veneer you can heat it and take it off and start again and if it's glued, add another layer over the top after filling the tear outs.

A router trimming bit can do a good job on veneer when used with care but the thing to watch is when you come near the end of the pass is to lift off as the bit will tear out the next face that is parallel to the bit blades.

The best idea is to trim over size and hand file and sand back to give a flush corner.
Old 16th September 2018, 06:03 PM   #13
transcendent is offline transcendent
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all the help guys, this is an amazing community. Can't believe how much useful stuff is already here and getting so much help almost real-time

I did use rabbitz advice and cover imperfections with small pieces and also LeoJar advice to use a lot of sanding afterwards. Finished it by varnishing with semi glossy lacquer. Can't say I am super happy with the final result, but it looks good for a first build. I will definitely know how to improve next time
Old 17th September 2018, 01:08 AM   #14
Jerms is offline Jerms  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by transcendent View Post
Hi guys,

Are there any ways of hiding veneer cutting mistakes at box edges. The veneer I am using tend to crumble when cut across the pattern. Can it be sanded or covered with something?

Thats my first build BTW.

Simonas
IMO....

Fill any gaps and sand lightly. Also try sanding a very small bevel into the edge of the veneer to hide/blend/avoid showing uneven cut edges. Careful doing this as too far will remove all of the veneer from the edge.

Some good ideas for next time have been mentioned. Taping the edges will help a bit. I quite like the idea of placing a melamine/formica board under the speaker when cutting edges too.

J.
Old 18th September 2018, 08:21 PM   #15
Eric is offline Eric  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm a little late to the party, but if you work carefully to save your sanding dust, you can use it to fill in holes or voids. Just apply a drop of glue with tooth pick, spread it around as best as you can, then press in the saw dust. Let it dry and then gently sand. If you still have a void, add more glue and press in more saw dust. I had to do this when my router tore out a spot while I was flush trimming some hard wood.

Here is one example and here is another. Each is a little different from your situation, but I think the same general approach might work.
Old 18th September 2018, 09:04 PM   #16
chrisb is online now chrisb
diyAudio Member

Just note that such glue/sanding swarf putty patches may not take all finishing products uniformly as the unpatched solids / veneers, so test adding any colorant to such a mix first.
Old 18th September 2018, 09:08 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Yep, some small color variations are likely to result - it's not perfect, but is better than the hole I started with.
Old 18th September 2018, 09:22 PM   #18
chrisb is online now chrisb
diyAudio Member

Of course such minor variations could be attributed to as “contributing to the character of handcrafted natural materials”.
Old 18th September 2018, 09:30 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Chris, you should have been a diplomat

Veneering - issues on edgesHide this!Advertise here!