Travelling speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I use two 2-way small Bravox speakers, that I've had for years, as side-speakers in my 5.1 room. Unfortunately they are not made anymore. They would fit the bill and the size.

They were plastic, but thick and dead.

We can start with their size: 110mm W x 180mm H x 100mm D.

If I'm not wrong, that would mean around 1.5 Liters of internal volume.

I used them on my computer for a long time, and they were quite good. Not much bass, of course, but quite accurate.

Sorry, I didn't see any specifics mentioned about that.

However, I'd had a couple of glasses of wine last night and meant to suggest the nd91. It requires an ever smaller sealed box at 250ml or vented at around 1litre.

People do say these drivers need a tweeter tho. Also, good quality BSC will take up space. As mentioned above DSP is the magic ingredient when it comes to micro sound.

How about Dayton Audio RS75-4? I built a BT-speaker with that, had a 1 liter box and tuned it around 80hz. The simulation doesn't look pretty but it sounds ok.

And for the DSP, a cost friendly option comes from Sure:

Sure Electronics' webstore ADAU1701 Audio Digital Signal Processor Kernel Board

You need a programmer for that, and it will probably smash your budget. But as many have said, nearly all manufacturers use DSP.

The Dayton ND90 looks very good in frequency response, perhaps a little better than the 91. I wonder what box volume it needs.

What about Dayton Nd90 in sealed boxes? They go below 90hz easily and with room gain and positioning in a hotel room even lower. A 3 litre cab is quite small.

Doesn't fit size requirements I thought?

Not in Brazil, but IF you come visiting Argentina, Faitals are available, in fact I can introduce you to the wholesaler and let you buy a pair of "samples" using my account with them (otherwise minimum order is a couple thousand U$D).

Search models (impressive speakers) at USSpeaker:
US SPEAKER - 2", 3", 4" & 5" Speakers - 2", 3", 4" & 5" speakers by Eminence Speaker, JBL, Vifa, EV, RCF, Beyma, Peavey, Celestion, P.Audio, Ampeg, Crate, Jensen, Fane and Pyle. 2" fullrange, 3" fullrange, 4" fullrange speakers & 5" bass speakers. Fi

Suitable ones can be:
Faital Pro 3FE22 3" Lightweight Neodymium Full-Range Speakers 3FE22- Faital Pro 3FE22 neodymium mid-high speaker. The Faital Pro 3FE22 speaker has a wide frequency range from 100Hz to 20kHz and has a lightweight neodymium magnet. Faital Pro 3FE22 40

Faital Pro 3FE25 3" Full-Range Speaker 3Fe25- Faital Pro 3FE25 full-range speakers . The Faital Pro 3FE25 has a wide frequency range from 100Hz to 20kHz and has a ferrite magnet. Faital Pro 3FE25 40 watt 3" has an efficiency of 91dB SPL for all high

respectively around 30 and 20 bucks, the first is VERY light, just over half pound, so freight should be reasonable.
Even 60% tax shouldn´t be a deal breaker, and they are Italian.

While Chinese speakers, because of an anti-dumping suite filed by Selenium, Novik and other Brazilian speaker manufacturers, pay an added tax by the kilo, not kidding, which makes them expensive, way more than what they are worth.

EDIT: when I said impressive Faital I was not kidding:
faitalpro-3fe22-freq-size475.gif

Last edited:
Doesn't fit size requirements I thought?

If volume requirement is 3 liters, then it doesn't.

Not in Brazil, but IF you come visiting Argentina, Faitals are available, in fact I can introduce you to the wholesaler and let you buy a pair of "samples" using my account with them (otherwise minimum order is a couple thousand U$D).

Those Faital are available, stocked in Argentina, and sell for around 30 bucks? Or you mean bought from abroad?

I will probably go there in December or March, so I can get them myself.

If you're not dead set on a full range, the drivers in this set might be a good starting point. Obviously, the kit would be too expensive but a good soul might help you design a crossover. The enclosure size is in your ballpark. Microspeaker m-Microspeaker m

Edit : see the download section on that page for more info

It looks impressive. Do you know what the drivers are? The mid-woofer looks like a Peerless. The tweeter I don't know.

Being two-way, if small, is not a problem. Full range speakers make sacrifices on both ends to widen their FR.

The small speaker I gave as an example is 2-way. But the internal drivers are no longer available. I have my doubts they were locally made.

How about some radio shack minimus 7s? You can get a set for $30 US on epay and build some new crossovers. The metal enclosure type are pretty small and durable enough to throw in a bag.

They would be perfect!

Unfortunately buying from the USA to Brazil became awfully expensive! And that is using USPS, not Fedex.

On the case of speakers you may two, three or four times more through eBay. It won't be less buying direct.

Amazon refuses to ship by USPS, only by courier. Which will result in paying 80% import taxes (over the complete price and shipping expenses). Shipping by USPS may result in paying no customs taxes.

Sorry to include so much unnecessary information. Just to show what buying from the US now involves.

Pity there doesn't seem to be any Chinese speakers retailers.

The charge 2 is a stereo device by itself but it doesn't support stereo pairing (two devices each in mono mode to provide L and R). Some bluetooth speakers will support stereo pairing but usually only if connected by bluetooth and not through the analog input.

If you can get your hands on the peerless SLS-85S25CP04, these drivers are little gems for less than 20$. But they're quite power hungry. I've built the µ micro speakers btw, they're on my desk right now.

The Charge 2 has an aux input, but the point of the device is streaming from a phone, so it is highly portable. It has very good sound overall, but you don't really get stereo separation due to the speakers on each end. There are clones that probably don't sound as good on aliexpress for $25. I use it primarily for its speakerphone function for work teleconferences, shines there to. A really nice product when you can get it for $60.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.