Travelling speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Not in Brazil, but IF you come visiting Argentina, Faitals are available, in fact I can introduce you to the wholesaler and let you buy a pair of "samples" using my account with them (otherwise minimum order is a couple thousand U$D).

Search models (impressive speakers) at USSpeaker:
US SPEAKER - 2", 3", 4" & 5" Speakers - 2", 3", 4" & 5" speakers by Eminence Speaker, JBL, Vifa, EV, RCF, Beyma, Peavey, Celestion, P.Audio, Ampeg, Crate, Jensen, Fane and Pyle. 2" fullrange, 3" fullrange, 4" fullrange speakers & 5" bass speakers. Fi

Suitable ones can be:
Faital Pro 3FE22 3" Lightweight Neodymium Full-Range Speakers 3FE22- Faital Pro 3FE22 neodymium mid-high speaker. The Faital Pro 3FE22 speaker has a wide frequency range from 100Hz to 20kHz and has a lightweight neodymium magnet. Faital Pro 3FE22 40

Faital Pro 3FE25 3" Full-Range Speaker 3Fe25- Faital Pro 3FE25 full-range speakers . The Faital Pro 3FE25 has a wide frequency range from 100Hz to 20kHz and has a ferrite magnet. Faital Pro 3FE25 40 watt 3" has an efficiency of 91dB SPL for all high

respectively around 30 and 20 bucks, the first is VERY light, just over half pound, so freight should be reasonable.
Even 60% tax shouldn´t be a deal breaker, and they are Italian.

While Chinese speakers, because of an anti-dumping suite filed by Selenium, Novik and other Brazilian speaker manufacturers, pay an added tax by the kilo, not kidding, which makes them expensive, way more than what they are worth.

EDIT: when I said impressive Faital I was not kidding:
faitalpro-3fe22-freq-size475.gif

The 3FE25 is an excellent driver to use with 0.40x mini Karlsonator. Lots of happy builders with these. If you want some big sound, dual 3FE25-16ohms in parallel in 0.53x scale Karlsonator is superb. Look in thread for details on construction and sound quality assessments and impressions.

I've never built a pair like this myself, but this would be my starting point for a pair of speakers to pack on a travel bag if the idea was to have something I could DIY rather than buy off the 'net.

The tube could double as a carrying space for socks !

Trevor Marshall - Ground Effect Omnidirectional HiFi Loudspeakers

Attachments

• TrevorMarshall_ground_effect_omni_speakers_556x400.jpg
    TrevorMarshall_ground_effect_omni_speakers_556x400.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 233
If you can get your hands on the peerless SLS-85S25CP04, these drivers are little gems for less than 20$. But they're quite power hungry. I've built the µ micro speakers btw, they're on my desk right now.

It looks very nice, even if the extremes look worst than the Dalton ND-91. It probably needs a large box and an HF tweeter to make it sound right.

What u micro speaker did you build?

Now, that is an interesting idea!

How do you make it omnidirectional?

The speaker is facing upwards and radiates out in all directions. Whether that is a good thing or not only you can decide, but it looks to be good for travel because it is lightweight, really quick and easy to build, easy to experiment with, easy to place, fairly robust with regards handling during travel, uses readily available materials and inexpensive ones at that.

I've been quite tempted to try it myself.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
703974d1537135519-travelling-speakers-trevormarshall_ground_effect_omni_speakers_556x400-jpg

This brings up an interesting point. When you are doing a small box the volume of the box material becomes a significant factor. A piece of 3-4"PVC is stiff, light, and thin walled.

This is an example to illustrate:

568616d1473319239-aluminium-loudspeaker-enclosure-al-vrs-wood-ufonken-gif

Now these boxes have over 2 times your desired gross volume so box material is a smaller factor than with a box the size you desire.

dave

If you mount a driver in a pipe, how does it affect the sound? I mean if it's like at the end of the pipe. Compared to a traditional box, you don't have any kind of front baffle.

I was bored one day and tried to simulate small enclosure with Dayton Audio ND65. If you stuff it into a 2 liter box with their 5" passive radiator, you would get a quite small speaker with -3dB at 65hz.

If you mount a driver in a pipe, how does it affect the sound? I mean if it's like at the end of the pipe. Compared to a traditional box, you don't have any kind of front baffle.
If the pipe is too long, you will get pipe like resonances.

The minimal baffle size is not a problem, it should simply aid dispersion.

A true omnidirectional speaker would have a conical reflector mounted above the driver. See the site below for examples.

Omnidirectional speakers

Those Faital are available, stocked in Argentina, and sell for around 30 bucks? Or you mean bought from abroad?

I will probably go there in December or March, so I can get them myself.
No, 30 something bucks is the US price. I should call Importer and ask first whether they brought the smallest ones, since their main business is supplying big PA companies, not interested in Consumer Audio , and if so, which price do they have.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.