Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Travelling speakers
Travelling speakers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th September 2018, 01:56 PM   #21
carlmart is offline carlmart  Brazil
diyAudio Member

I use two 2-way small Bravox speakers, that I've had for years, as side-speakers in my 5.1 room. Unfortunately they are not made anymore. They would fit the bill and the size.

They were plastic, but thick and dead.

We can start with their size: 110mm W x 180mm H x 100mm D.

If I'm not wrong, that would mean around 1.5 Liters of internal volume.

I used them on my computer for a long time, and they were quite good. Not much bass, of course, but quite accurate.
Old 15th September 2018, 09:38 PM   #22
grahamgraham is offline grahamgraham  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

What about Dayton Nd90 in sealed boxes? They go below 90hz easily and with room gain and positioning in a hotel room even lower. A 3 litre cab is quite small.
Old 16th September 2018, 01:53 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Please consider the box size above and/or volume the maximum for this project.
Old 16th September 2018, 05:27 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Sorry, I didn't see any specifics mentioned about that.

However, I'd had a couple of glasses of wine last night and meant to suggest the nd91. It requires an ever smaller sealed box at 250ml or vented at around 1litre.

People do say these drivers need a tweeter tho. Also, good quality BSC will take up space. As mentioned above DSP is the magic ingredient when it comes to micro sound.
Old 16th September 2018, 06:27 AM   #25
Nenola is offline Nenola  Finland
diyAudio Member

How about Dayton Audio RS75-4? I built a BT-speaker with that, had a 1 liter box and tuned it around 80hz. The simulation doesn't look pretty but it sounds ok.

And for the DSP, a cost friendly option comes from Sure:

Sure Electronics' webstore ADAU1701 Audio Digital Signal Processor Kernel Board

You need a programmer for that, and it will probably smash your budget. But as many have said, nearly all manufacturers use DSP.
Old 16th September 2018, 07:51 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

The Dayton ND90 looks very good in frequency response, perhaps a little better than the 91. I wonder what box volume it needs.
Old 16th September 2018, 08:28 AM   #27
00940 is offline 00940  Belgium
diyAudio Member

If you're not dead set on a full range, the drivers in this set might be a good starting point. Obviously, the kit would be too expensive but a good soul might help you design a crossover. The enclosure size is in your ballpark. Microspeaker m-Microspeaker m

Edit : see the download section on that page for more info
Old 16th September 2018, 08:51 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlmart View Post
The Dayton ND90 looks very good in frequency response, perhaps a little better than the 91. I wonder what box volume it needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamgraham View Post
What about Dayton Nd90 in sealed boxes? They go below 90hz easily and with room gain and positioning in a hotel room even lower. A 3 litre cab is quite small.
Doesn't fit size requirements I thought?
Old 16th September 2018, 10:31 AM   #29
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Not in Brazil, but IF you come visiting Argentina, Faitals are available, in fact I can introduce you to the wholesaler and let you buy a pair of "samples" using my account with them (otherwise minimum order is a couple thousand U$D).

Search models (impressive speakers) at USSpeaker:
US SPEAKER - 2", 3", 4" & 5" Speakers - 2", 3", 4" & 5" speakers by Eminence Speaker, JBL, Vifa, EV, RCF, Beyma, Peavey, Celestion, P.Audio, Ampeg, Crate, Jensen, Fane and Pyle. 2" fullrange, 3" fullrange, 4" fullrange speakers & 5" bass speakers. Fi

Suitable ones can be:
Faital Pro 3FE22 3" Lightweight Neodymium Full-Range Speakers 3FE22- Faital Pro 3FE22 neodymium mid-high speaker. The Faital Pro 3FE22 speaker has a wide frequency range from 100Hz to 20kHz and has a lightweight neodymium magnet. Faital Pro 3FE22 40

Faital Pro 3FE25 3" Full-Range Speaker 3Fe25- Faital Pro 3FE25 full-range speakers . The Faital Pro 3FE25 has a wide frequency range from 100Hz to 20kHz and has a ferrite magnet. Faital Pro 3FE25 40 watt 3" has an efficiency of 91dB SPL for all high

respectively around 30 and 20 bucks, the first is VERY light, just over half pound, so freight should be reasonable.
Even 60% tax shouldn´t be a deal breaker, and they are Italian.

While Chinese speakers, because of an anti-dumping suite filed by Selenium, Novik and other Brazilian speaker manufacturers, pay an added tax by the kilo, not kidding, which makes them expensive, way more than what they are worth.

EDIT: when I said impressive Faital I was not kidding:
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by JMFahey; 16th September 2018 at 10:55 AM.
Old 16th September 2018, 11:13 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamgraham View Post
Doesn't fit size requirements I thought?
If volume requirement is 3 liters, then it doesn't.

Quote:
Not in Brazil, but IF you come visiting Argentina, Faitals are available, in fact I can introduce you to the wholesaler and let you buy a pair of "samples" using my account with them (otherwise minimum order is a couple thousand U$D).
Those Faital are available, stocked in Argentina, and sell for around 30 bucks? Or you mean bought from abroad?

I will probably go there in December or March, so I can get them myself.

Travelling speakersHide this!Advertise here!