Father son project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, my son asks me the other day if we could build some speakers together. That sounds great, I think. Then he shows me this:
Amazon.com: HiVi - DIY 3.1A - 3.1 Bookshelf Speakers - Near-Field Speakers - DIY Speaker Kit - Pair - Black: Home Audio & Theater

And this:

Amazon.com: Crown XLi800 Two-channel, 300W at 4Ω Power Amplifier: Musical Instruments

While the products shown might be great for someone else, they are well out of my budget. I'm thinking our first dip into the diy world should be an efficient full range speaker with an inexpensive chip amp powered with a laptop brick.

I can build cabinets from scratch, I can also follow straight forward instructions for amplifier assembly.

Maybe point me to a good combination to start with.

I'm thinking a $ 200.00 budget for components.

Thank you.

Gary

My son isn't old enough to join me yet, but I just finished my first set of speakers around your budget, Planet10-designed bookshelf-size mPluKen7 with $45 Pluvia 7 drivers. They sound far, far better than I was expecting. Decision making and build pictures here: First timer: select a low-budget bookshelf design?

I'm better with a soldering iron than a table saw so I built a 25W LM1875-based "gainclone" following a schematic from Rod Elliott. Pictures of the completed amp here: Chip Amp Photo Gallery. For the parts to the power amp and a matching preamp (in progress) I spent around $125.

If I were doing it again and had more money and space, I would go for the planet 10's FrugelHorns with Alpair 7. For less electronics challenge, you could choose an amplifier kit, but I found that increased the cost substantially over soldering up the bare components (which is admittedly not for everyone).

-Neil N0FN

If you have the space, I would second a larger floorstanding build like perceval recommended.

I've built the Frugalhorn FH3 (flatpak) with the Alpair 7.3en and also a BiB for a Fostex FF105WK. Both were very satisfying and deliver nearly fullrange sound, with impressive bass for their size. I've yet to build a Lance, but I've read good things about the FF105WK in that enclosure.

While the Alpair 7 would eat up a lot of your budget, I've read good things about the cheaper Pluvia 7 and the Alpair 7P, which is currently on sale at Madisound for $90 a pair.

Last edited:
If I were in your shoes, knowing what I know now, I would go with a Mark Audio driver; probably the CHP-70 in either a Pensil set of cabinets or a slim golden ratio. Between drivers and lumber, it should be under $100. For an amp, there are plenty of decent little amps for less than $100. Parts Express has plenty from which to choose.
Your son and you are truly blessed to share an interest on which you can build. I'd decide on a few options I could afford and then let him decide what he wants to do. The time you'll spend together is worth far more than the sound quality of this build. If it goes well, there will be more builds in the future.
Enjoy your time and your family,
Mike

The best thing about this thread is the fact a son would like to build a pair of speakers with his father! I recommend that you quickly make a decision about what you would like to build and get started right away….before the desire fades. You will find it very easy to get lost in the weeds while researching what you want to build. The result of taking too much time in the research phase of the project is building nothing. Stay simple, make the build fun for your son and enjoy your time with him. If they don’t meet your expectations you can always try again.

The best thing about this thread is the fact a son would like to build a pair of speakers with his father! I recommend that you quickly make a decision about what you would like to build and get started right away….before the desire fades. You will find it very easy to get lost in the weeds while researching what you want to build. The result of taking too much time in the research phase of the project is building nothing. Stay simple, make the build fun for your son and enjoy your time with him. If they don’t meet your expectations you can always try again.

EXACTLY!!!! Great point!

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Another option, not full range tho-
Classix II MT Bookshelf Speaker Kit from meniscus audio or parts express.
• Power handling: 60 watts RMS/100 watts max
• Frequency response: 35-20,000 Hz
• Impedance: 8 ohms
• Sensitivity: 86 dB 1W/1m
• Dimensions: 15" H x 8.5" W x 11-3/4" D

Last edited:
Also regarding the amp/brick suggestion, I think you're on the right track there for a cheap build. Check out Sure Electronics for class D amps that take 24VDC. You can find SMPS bricks meant for laptops cheap on eBay too. And they have more current than you'll need to drive 2 speakers.
BTW, +1 on the MarkAudio FR driver suggestion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.