Father son project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Me personally. I wouldn't be arrogant enough to compare an assemblage of $20 parts with a $3500 system. Won't come even close

Wrong. And that's what happens when you get caught playing the price game. Especially when comparing a commercial offering to a DIY clone.

Btw, for $3,500 you get a sub with amp, and 4 TC9 drivers in cute enclosures. That's a bit more than $20 of parts... But still a lot less than 3,500!

Gary, the Brio clones are a great project. But you will definitively need a sub. Do you already have a sub? The monitors also need some space inside the room, you can't just put them flat against a wall.

One more option.

If you guys want to make it a family thing, you could even build one set on the kitchen table, no wood cutting.

These little ones are quite marvellous, and easy to build, especially if there are two sets of hands involved in holding panels and glueing.

X's dual TC9 mini-karlsonators are cheap and easy to build, but sound amazing.

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's
+1 This is really a fun and cheap project - but sounds amazing. The drivers are cheap, the foam core is cheap, the tools are cheap and even the amp can be cheap. I made the 0.4x mini-karlsonators (on the kitchen table at night) with single TC9FD drivers and driven with a TDA7297 amp they sound ridiculously good. I have also heard the 0.53x dual 3FE25 Mini-Karlsonators driven by the same amp (and also with the Pass ACA) and they are in a class of their own. Beats my Tannoys, but then again, my Tannoys are not $3500.

A ridiculously cheap, but amazing sounding little amp:
Buy tda7297 and get free shipping on AliExpress.com
And here is the thread : What the heck? It's less than lunch!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yep, what Perceval and Twocents said above. ++1

Make it of foam core though. - don’t succumb to the urge make it “better” with all wood. Maybe wood veneer over foam core for the Karlson aperture. The sound is dependent on the use of the foamcore.

There are about 60 happy builds of this speaker at least. Read the listening impressions and feedback from Bonjonno who now uses them for his studio monitors.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/ful...onator-0-53x-dual-tc9fds-212.html#post5185462

Last edited:
2 woofers and 4 full range drivers are ordered.

I keep reading more information and wish to use stereo subs with the karlsonators and then later with the brio's. I would like to build the amps and use mini dsp to tune.

I would like suggestions for the Amps and advice on the power supply, especially for the amp with the woofer duties. Is this a reasonable, inexpensive solution?

Mean Well MW NES-350-24 24 VDC 14.6A 350W Regulated Switching Power Supply

Thank you.

Gary

Me personally. I wouldn't be arrogant enough to compare an assemblage of $20 parts with a $3500 system. Won't come even close

Perhaps in this comparison it may well be comparable .

In general, it depends, I have become enamoured by the sound of those very carefully designed Harbeth speakers (nearly any model), and found them so musical and so good for voice that they will probably be my next main speakers, not a diy design. Note that I heard several good diy designs over time.

...I'm thinking our first dip into the diy world should be an efficient full range speaker with an inexpensive chip amp powered with a laptop brick...

...For an amp, there are plenty of decent little amps for less than $100. Parts Express has plenty from which to choose...
I highly recommend this thing
Dayton Audio DTA-1 Class T AC/DC Battery Powered Mini Amplifier 15 WPC
For $29 it can't be beat! One plays a set of 5" 2-way Monoliths to a pretty good volume, and those aren't super efficient. Only two minor drawbacks:
- The 3.5mm to 3.5 mm cord for plugging in a phone or whatever is very short (included, though!).
- The cable for the INCLUDED power supply brick is also short, like 3 feet or something.

Meanwhile, this ultra cheap fullrange is supposed to be pretty good, I'm probably going to use it in a wacky project.
GRS 8FR-8 Full-Range 8" Speaker Pioneer Type B20FU20-51FW

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.