Alpair 7/11 MS for surround sound?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Meaning all the drivers are EnABLed.

Alpair103eNc.jpg

EnABL - Listening impressions & techniques

dave

Whilst I have been slacking regarding the speaker design/build I have been busy in other ways. The stove is and the metal studwork up. 40mm waste pipe chased in the wall to AV kit located to the left.

The stove needs facing with cement board around its front perimeter and then the rest can be finshed in 12mm MDF or plasterboard.

The old fireplace has been boarded out ready for the sub that will sit in the hole and be hidden behind a false panel making it look like a log store.

So need to think about the speakers again. The centre speaker will be thin and wide just because of the gap between the fire barrier and TV. The fixed dimensions are a depth of 140mm + thickness of surface finish (12mm) and the height 195mm. Regarding the depth I could afford a little more if I brought the speaker bezel forward to sit proud of the surface.

For speed I'm considering a simple box build using my own limited workworking abilities and facilities but I'm also considering getting it CNC cut.

Attachments

• IMG_4032[1].jpg
    IMG_4032[1].jpg
    764.6 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_4035[1].jpg
    IMG_4035[1].jpg
    890.9 KB · Views: 250
This is my first cab design so please bear with...

On & Off I have spent most of the day playing with WinISD. Using the 11MS in a ported configuration I have hit upon a cab of 10.3l. Allowing for the displacement of the driver (~0.4l), ports and bracing constucted out of 15mm Birchwood BB ply I end up with a cab 200H x 154D x 590W (mm).

If I have understood the results I should be able to run this down to ~72Hz if needed before port cuffing becomes apparent at max power (35W)

Some questions if I may (many may be stupid and show my inexperience as a first timer)?

• Have I made any grave mistakes with WinISD?
  • Obviously the build becomes a lot more complex over a 5.6l sealed cab. In an AV setup is the extra effort worth it for 30Hz off the sub
  • Because of height and depth restrictions I will have an internal brace across the width that will support the speaker. Where would the speaker be best placed? Off centre on the same side as the ports?
  • The back will be covered in felt and the cab lightly stuffed with wool
  • In terms of constuction I was going to used sloted ports to one side of the cab.
  • Dispite the compromise of width due to other constaints I was planning to make the LCR all the same as it makes the build and wood cutting simpler. Would it make a difference mounting the L/R verticaly assuming that all the drivers were horizontally aligned?

Attachments

• 11MS Sealed.png
    11MS Sealed.png
    38.9 KB · Views: 242
  • Transfer Function.png
    Transfer Function.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 230
  • Port Velocity.png
    Port Velocity.png
    40.3 KB · Views: 63
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.