Supravox 165-2000

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks, from some research I like the look of the Clones Audio 25, looks ideal.

I have been experimenting with some stuffing in the speaker, at the moment its running open backed with a large pillow stuffed behind the driver and open at the bottom, with my foam absorber wedged in behind, sounds good but the impedance trace looks very bumpy, if somewhat aperiodic as the impedance peak has dropped a lot....

Driver on its own:

Supravox 165-2000 (2-A) by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

In the cabinet as pictured below:

Supravox 165-2000 (2-A2 in cabinet - Open Back with Pillow and Bass Foam V2) by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

I'll see if I can get some more stuffing that might help soften the wobbles in the trace?

IMGP7442 by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

IMGP7445 by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Thanks, I've tried another experiment, with 2x 1.5" layers of upholstery foam, one medium and one low density running the full length of the back (still open) with a loose pillow covering the top half round the driver gives me this very clean result....

Thats measured in the middle of the room, placing them back in the corner gives a little wobble to the trace as it becomes a bit more bumpy.

Supravox 165-2000 (2-A2 in cabinet - 2x Layer 36mm foam & Pillow) by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

This implies that close to a boundary, better overall to do most/all damping at/on the boundary with just enough in/on the OB cab/baffle to quell any internal/nearby early reflections.

GM

Thanks, thats something I have been exploring with some Acoustic Panels from GIK here in the UK.

Subjectively it sounds a lot better, more even bass (if at the expense of a little low end) and the mid-range seems clearer.
It looks a lot neater too now. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.