Supravox 165-2000

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pardon my cynicism, but rebating a driver for cosmetic and/or preferably to negate some [modulating/comb filtering] reflections back to the 'throat' of the driver, then rebating a baffle to create lower frequency [higher power] reflections more likely to be audible isn't something to be happy about unless 'curb appeal' trumps all.

Weakening the baffle, requiring the driver to act more like a stressed member is [at least] theoretically not a good plan either.

Better overall to add just a driver support/preloading feature and a false baffle to visually both flush mount the driver and speaker face and of course best overall being either well damped and/or sloping baffles to deal with the cab's external acoustics.

GM

In an ideal world, yes, I would not have the main baffle set back but these were free test cabinets so I wanted to get them in to make sure the cabinet size works (which it seems to).

Bit of an update, the drivers have been back with Supravox.

The magnet was fine (re-magnetised just to check), but the coil was not aligned in the gap for both so they are being re-coned.

After speaking with the engineer (actually the new Technical Director) they changed ownership late last year and just had a move of premises, as well as implementing a new CLIO system on for the quality control which is good news.

It sounds like they have had quite a few changes which might mean why some drivers recently have slipped through the net.....

Happily customers who know what good drivers is help Supravox next batches to be corrected
and production quality keep with care at the high side of the audio satisfaction.
Wish You get perfect in spec FR back very soon ! Kindest regards

Yes, I am happy to wait as in a very short listen while testing them they sounded very promising, but of course, with such expensive drivers I would expect them to be on spec first time. This however has been addressed with their new quality control process, and I gather some new machinery too.

Well, I found a pair in stock, from toutlehautparleur.com, excellent service! :)
Fullrange speaker Supravox 165-2000, 4 ohm, 7 inch

Arrived today so thought I would test them, hoping there would not be such quality control issues as mbrennwa had below:

Supravox 165-2000 parameter inconsistencies

Out of the box, they came with individual spec sheets with the measured parameters, not looking good as they both say a Qe of around 1.5!
Most of the other specs are roughly in the right ball park, fs a little high but not too far.

I thought I would give it a go on my new Dayton DATS, and below are the results.

Supravox Website:
Fs : 70Hz Re : 4.1Ω Qts : 0.78 Qe : 0.9 Qm : 6 Vas : 40 L Bl : 3.2 Cms : 1.1 Mms : 4.9 g Sd : 165 cm2

Measured (1)
Fs : 83Hz Re : 4.1Ω Qts : 1.24 Qe : 1.46 Qm : 7.9 Vas : 27 L Bl : 2.7 Cms : 0.71 Mms : 5.05 g Sd : 165 cm2
Measured (2)
Fs : 80.1Hz Re : 4.1Ω Qts : 1.28 Qe : 1.55 Qm : 7.4 Vas : 30 L Bl : 2.5 Cms : 0.79 Mms : 4.8 g Sd : 165 cm2

Supravox 165-2000 (1) by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Supravox 165-2000 (2) by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Well, drivers are back, completely new pair. Very well matched everywhere and although the Qts/Qes is still a little high, its a lot closer to the published specs.
SPL @ 2.83v for both is around 99dB which is quite impressive!
Quite happy where they are at though.

More importantly though, they sound great to me so far, running full range with no filter on the end of the 2wpc Decware Zen SET.

Supravox 165-2000 (2-A) by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Supravox 165-2000 (2-B) by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

With just a couple of watts they may not ever really break in, but normally Fs, Qts drops, Vas increases, so in theory would eventually get somewhat closer to spec, flattening out the response a bit. In short, measured/properly calculated efficiency [n0] is what [at least some] manufacturers use to check how close to spec they are, so with one spot on and one ~1 dB low, can't reasonably expect any better since 10% [still?] is the norm for many manufacturers.

With such a high Fs, what are you using for the bass or are you tuning well below Fs due to the high Qt?

GM

With just a couple of watts they may not ever really break in, but normally Fs, Qts drops, Vas increases, so in theory would eventually get somewhat closer to spec, flattening out the response a bit. In short, measured/properly calculated efficiency [n0] is what [at least some] manufacturers use to check how close to spec they are, so with one spot on and one ~1 dB low, can't reasonably expect any better since 10% [still?] is the norm for many manufacturers.

With such a high Fs, what are you using for the bass or are you tuning well below Fs due to the high Qt?

GM

I am just using them in the test cabinets photo earlier in the thread. The plan is Aperiodic and placed in the corner for bass lift.

Here is the measurement I did with the original drivers (in room, at listening position)

Supravox 165-2000 (L) Distortion by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

The peak @ ~33Hz and Valley at ~48Hz are room related as shown below with my old KEF 201/2 and Frugelhorn Lite speakers in the same position. Interestingly there is less suck out between 70Hz and ~120Hz.

FHL Vs 201-2 FR (Stereo @ Seat) by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Last edited:
Sheesh! Wish my house had this much room gain! Must be really well built. Yeah, need narrow BW 'subs' located wherever along the walls is causing the dip, but then most folks don't 'hear' dips down this low unless it's pointed out to them.

GM

Hi guys,

I'm after a bit of matching advice, I might look at a different amplifier to use with the 165-2000 drivers.

I have been switching between the ~2wpc Decware Zen and the 160w Denon PMA-2500NE I have and I actually prefer the much more powerful Denon, although its massively over powered for what I need.

What do you think would be a good match being a relatively easy 4 Ohm load? I guess the higher output impedance of the Zen SET probably does not help the high Qts of the Supravox drivers.

Cheers, Rob

Hmm, I don't remember how to find an amp's output impedance and par for the course these days to not publish them, making it a crap shoot for the buyer as to whether it's a good match with one's speakers, but considering your room's gain and preferring the Denon overall, some of the last PP tube amps with only ~0.5 ohm on the 4 ohm tap would be a good match-up, especially if it has variable DF tone controls.

That, or a zero -fb SS amp with tube preamp w/tone controls or maybe some high end digital EQ frequency shaping.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.