Fane 2x15 fullrange cab

My 2x15 fullrange cab project for bbq/outdoor/chilling around pool area.

This post was moved from the Fane driver thread and modified a few times.

Drivers: 2x Fane 15" full rangers; type FC-152F01TC (aka Sovereign 15-300TC), 2x8ohm,600w,99dB/1w.
Cabinet: Size inner 1000x500x300 = ca 150 litres, sealed. Outer 1054x554x400, all 27mm pine wood oil stained for rain protection.

IMG_1497_Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Fanatic
Joined 2009
Paid Member
That looks really nice.
I think the choice of 27mm pine is very good. Relatively light, and stiff.

A little bit difficult to understand why you chose to make a huge "boombox" instead of making a single driver box and summing it in mono, but it does not matter as long as you are happy.

Edit:
I think you would be well off considering a cheap PA amp with some dsp, it does help a lot to just notch out some peaks, and considering you're using only the FC152's alone, a little bass boost down low is almost mandatory. The new Behringer NX1000D is probably the most cost efficient solution.

Last edited:
That looks really nice.
I think the choice of 27mm pine is very good. Relatively light, and stiff.

A little bit difficult to understand why you chose to make a huge "boombox" instead of making a single driver box and summing it in mono, but it does not matter as long as you are happy.

Edit:
I think you would be well off considering a cheap PA amp with some dsp, it does help a lot to just notch out some peaks, and considering you're using only the FC152's alone, a little bass boost down low is almost mandatory. The new Behringer NX1000D is probably the most cost efficient solution.

reasons for two 15" instead of one:

- more power, sensitivity, dynamics, spl
- stereo (if you sit in the right spot that is) and wider sound / fill a bigger space
- flexible for cheaper amps that doesnt support bridge, easy 2*8ohm load.
- better (lower) cabinet over drivers price ratio (in this design the cabinet cost as much as the drivers - i hate designs where the cabinet cost more than the components)
- i can build another one and parallell each cab and have a huge stereo PA

thanks for advice on the behringer that looks very interresting and exactly what we need here, just a little eq boost in the lowend and a a small shelve in midrange.

Last edited:
I seem to have settled on a notch at 4khz, another at 6-8khz, and a low q wide dip centered ca 3,5khz.
If you or a friend have one of those tiny measurement mics that come with some surround amps, use that together with rew in your listening area to figure out what you need to focus on. The auto feature in REW killed the sound for me, "less is more".

One year later and drivers properly burned in we did some small modification removing almost all damping inside and that did a lot of change to the sound introducing much more powerful and effective bass no need for EQ. For the distance we play at outside we don't want to modify the midrange either, we are just really happy with the whole thing. Awesome drivers, so much value for the money.

I have been toying with the idea of the Fane full rangers for a friend of mine, and am curious if you've compared these to the 12's? Having a hard time deciding which to research more.

The idea of dual 15s is wild... The aforementioned XLS amps would make a great combo IMO. Love the XLS.

If you have the space go for 15", they have that PA live sound :)
I like the 12" dont get me wrong but I cannot really compare with justice given we got 4x15 in 2x150l compared to a pair of 40l for the 12s.

4 of these 15s is really something, so much dynamics for so little money and effort.

Last edited:
I have a pair of these using them open baffle atm I'm experimenting with dsp in jriver to voice them (by ear only atm ) but I like them a lot once you turn the treble down a bit .thinking of buying another 3 and mounting them all in the ceiling and making a cheap surround sound system . it's the dynamics I think I like about them and the impact the way you feel the music its a physical experience ha .

Reactions: 1 user