Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Straight Line Array SB65WBAC25-4
Straight Line Array SB65WBAC25-4
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st September 2018, 04:05 PM   #111
mlee is offline mlee  Canada
diyAudio Member

Some toys arrived today! ICE Power 1200as2 boards!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180921_070623_HHT.jpg (122.7 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180921_070730_HHT.jpg (142.9 KB, 176 views)
Old 22nd September 2018, 10:53 AM   #112
wesayso is offline wesayso  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

There's a lot of power there in that box!
Old 26th September 2018, 02:30 PM   #113
diyAudio Member

Starting the amp enclosure this weekend!

Got some more time on setup. Moved some things around, added some more wall panels. Attached is an impulse measurement out to 10mS. You can see the periphery couch at 8mS. There are some TV reflections in there as well. I'm sure there is some reflection from the main couch where the mic is setup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Impulse-10mS.jpg (440.4 KB, 113 views)
Old 26th September 2018, 06:24 PM   #114
diyAudio Member

Where was the mic? The reason I ask is that at 8 ms, the couch would probably be closer to the mic than 8ms.
Not a bad result. What do you do, processing wise? I've experienced big differences in how I treat the IR, as far as filtering goes. You can practically determine how you want the imaging to present itself, based on the variables used in processing.
I'd recommend playing with that extensively, if you do use FIR filtering.
Somewhere in my (huge) thread I even have some templates etc. as a download from what I use(d) in DRC-FIR.
What I want to say is: it is remarkable how the way you process thing can influence what you get to hear/experience. There's a lot to gain there, it just takes time.

Your IR is clean enough (due to the damping panels and their nature to average out a lot of reflections) to process and really get audible and perceptual results.
Old 26th September 2018, 07:35 PM   #115
diyAudio Member

The main couch is at the listening position, the other couch is smack dab in the middle between the listening position and the LineArray. Currently I use miniSharc to do some eq and light FIR (only 800 taps to work with). Also I watch a lot of movies with this system so latency is a factor.

Could do some jriver with longer taps for music listening. Will investigate. I'm finding little adjustments improve the sound quite a bit. The soundstage is much better now but it took some time to get the balance correct. I'm finding I use the volume button a bit more than my previous setup.
Old 26th September 2018, 11:05 PM   #116
diyAudio Member

I balance the music trough JRiver (so it sounds like the same level) and basically never touch the volume. As recordings can vary way too much for me to hassle with that. Volume also has quite the effect on how things get experienced, so settling with a known basic level helped me a lot to be able to judge it better.

That 8 ms wiggle is quite small though, I would not worry about it too much just yet. Earlier reflections have way more influence on things like imaging.

If you end up experimenting with JRiver, try the mid/side tricks I use, just for fun. They are described in my thread and fluid's thread. More than one array user have stated the results were favourable.

Your measurements look pretty clean (good room!), is this the left+right or one of them? Balancing left and right channels (based on frequency dependent windows of about 6 cycles) goes a long way towards very stable phantom imaging.
Why the frequency dependent window? Because most imaging queues are picked up from the first wave of sound, tonality takes longer to settle. But as I see those first 10 ms, getting that first wave right will also make the unfiltered results look (and more important, sound) better.

I like to make little projects for myself, holding myself to a single theme to learn. So I may spend up to a month just working on tonality. And at another time on imaging. Balance is everything in tonality, little tweaks go a long way. Play lots of different material, don't end up with one genre (or just a few songs) that sounds great.
Old 26th September 2018, 11:32 PM   #117
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the feedback! Will try some music specific tricks in jriver to test out things. If music presentation could improve a bit, I'd call this a win!

The sweep is L+R. I played with some FDW in REW but have to look closer at the settings. The generic settings did not sound right even though it measured ok. Will have to re-read your posts regarding FDW and jriver settings for side/mid ect. Thanks for posting that stuff in your thread!
Old 27th September 2018, 12:11 AM   #118
diyAudio Member

Just looked up a link for another thread: here's some of that mid/side stuff in graphs:
The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)

Around that post, either before or after I think I have posted way more detailed information. My thread is huge, and that can make stuff hard to find.
Here it is...
Be aware as it is very important to already have a pleasurable starting curve with a good general balance. In my room, that wasn't a flat curve.

Last edited by wesayso; 27th September 2018 at 12:15 AM.
Old 27th September 2018, 01:00 AM   #119
diyAudio Member

Perfect thanks!

Straight Line Array SB65WBAC25-4Hide this!Advertise here!