Infinite Baffle BMR + Dolby Atmos

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos system where all 11 room speakers are KEF HTS2001. They sound fantastic and I shouldn't even really entertain the idea of changing these out. But I've been thinking about what it would be like to have the entire system be composed of DMLs or BMRs.

So, I ordered some exciters and a 3.5" BMR transducer (TEBM65C20F-8) from Parts Express for testing testing purposes. I did some rudimentary DML builds, but was not satisfied with the results, so I put that on pause to try out the BMR. I just cut a hole in a 2x2 ceiling tile and taped the driver in, but OMGoodness! I'm very much liking the sound of it so far.

My question is: has anyone tried a BMR mounted in-wall as infinite-baffle, and what were your results like? I would probably mount the BMRs to a thin panel of plywood and mount that to the wall.

I'm guessing the results would be more pleasing for my system, as there would be no enclosure coloration, no wall reflection, and an increase in low-end (though I wouldn't need them to go down lower than 80Hz). The dispersion from the BMRs would also be very nice, as I'm trying to cover 2 rows of seating, which is difficult to achieve with Dolby Atmos specs, and my room's speaker positioning.

Will I be able to get the desired SPLs for my system (the KEFs are plenty!)? I'd rather do this with 1 transducer per location, as any sort of array would give me undesirable combing.

I'm open to any thoughts and ideas on this. Thanks!

DML's and BMR's have a different type of sound compared to the conventional cone type of loudspeakers. If you like your Kef's I wouldn't change them out.

I have played around with BMR's but I have not tried in-wall mounting.

I would go with the DML panels as a 3.5inch BMR sounds tiny compared to a 12 inch DML panel with at least a single 19mm exciter.

I like the KEFs, but I did a quick A/B with the BMR, mounted OB, and also in a large sealed enclosure (18x Vas; to simulate IB). I really liked the BMRs! The distortion at 80Hz, was less than the port-chuffing from the KEFs. There also seems to be a lot less room interaction (probably because of the DML effect above the pistonic Hz).

I have an assortment of exciters I ordered, so I could continue my DML panel tests to see if I achieve favorable results. How large of a panel would I need to get smooth response down to 80Hz? What material would you recommend? I have tried about a 20 different materials, and so far the best have been XPS, 1/4 Sande Plywood, and a 2x2 ceiling tile. Thanks!

DML's and BMR's have a different type of sound compared to the conventional cone type of loudspeakers. If you like your Kef's I wouldn't change them out.

I have played around with BMR's but I have not tried in-wall mounting.

I would go with the DML panels as a 3.5inch BMR sounds tiny compared to a 12 inch DML panel with at least a single 19mm exciter.

When these BMRs are set up correctly they sound better than a DML even twice the size of that one, not sure what you are on about? Their distribution of sound is also waaay more even giving a giant sound stage so I really look forward to an explanation of this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.