Vancouver Art Gallery Speaker Installation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wow wow woW

The exhibit blew my mind! I hope you enjoy the article:

Kevin Schmidt: We are The Robots Exhibit Review

I read your article - sounds like your special journey to the gallery was well worth the effort. I also listened to the binaural sound clips on a nice set of closed back headphones. Never heard anything quite like it. Each bass note sounded like an individual packet of sound with its own timbre and timing relationship within the room. The room and the sound system, I simply could not separate between the two. I can imagine that with certain passages of music, combined with the personal sensibilities of the listener, could easily transport an individual to a realm that would be tangibly real, hence unforgettable. Kevin Schmidt is a star.

Hi Folks,
I was in downtown Vancouver yesterday for a meeting and only after the meeting ended and I realized that I had a few hours left on my parking that I decided this was an opportunity to visit this installation.

A brisk walk over to the VAG and up to the 3rd floor to find the listening room as pictured with a couple of folks listening to the tape recorder with the nature sounds.

Looks great but since I hadn't thought of going to the VAG when I went over town, I was without vinyl. Nobody else around with some records, and about 90 minutes until the gallery closes. What to do ??

Nothing for it but to march over to see if Albion Books (used book and record store) on Richards street was still open. I hadn't been there in years but heck if I'm going to pay the Gallery entrance fee to listen to these I better get some vinyl.

10 minutes walk over to Richards and much rejoicing Albion is still in business, quite and dusty as ever. A fast scan through the used vinyl - thinking what to grab for that rig and I returned to the VAG with
- Oregon - Roots in the Sky (Good range of interesting instruments, especially interested in hearing Walcotts tablas)
- Joan Armatrading - Self Titled (Gotta have at least one vocal record )
- Zoot Sims meets Jimmy Rowles - If I'm Lucky (Pablo - generally well recorded jazz quartet with Sax for that mid-range)
- Bill Evans - Portrait in Jazz (newish re-issue )

Slightly breathless after force marching back to the gallery and up to the 3rd flow - but I had the room all to myself and the VAG staff.

I have to say those horns throw a massive sound stage with the upright bass on the Bill Evans record and Zoot Sims horn making the best first impression

The I got to Joan Armatrading's "Love and Affection" which was stunning.
Well worth the visit - so thanks again to this forum for letting me know that the show was on but
.. thanks mostly to Albion Books for still being in business and happy to help out with a few new gems for my collection

Steve

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.