MLTL Floorstanders for Alpair 7MS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One more question. Can tube port be replaced with rectangle opening like in pencil?

I am attaching proposed calculations. 16mm x 127mm rectangle port will be equal in volume to original port.

A7ms-compact-MLTL-060918_new port.jpg

Could you please let me know if that would work? Aesthetically i like this shape more than tube. Is there any sonic difference/ preference in this design?

Could you also please help to understand why port need to be raised at 110mm vs. in pencil design it is at the bottom of the cabinet?

Thank you very much again.

As far as this particular cabinet goes, by shifting to a rectangular slot vent at the bottom of the enclosure, you will get more in the way of harmonic ripple as the vent offset increases the acoustic low-pass. Since the vent offset is a functional part of the design, I don't recommend it myself, although the results can be acceptable in some cases. YMMV as always.

Last edited:
As far as this particular cabinet goes, by shifting to a rectangular slot vent at the bottom of the enclosure, you will get more in the way of harmonic ripple as the vent offset increases the acoustic low-pass. Since the vent offset is a functional part of the design, I don't recommend it myself, although the results can be acceptable in some cases. YMMV as always.

+1 All things considered, IME [not mention prosound apps in general where first implemented], slot vents are best left to cab alignments that require unacceptably long vents for whatever reason, especially in the case of vented tower alignments [MLTL and its variants] that when done right will damp the vent enough that it will shorten it relative to what a basic vented alignment calculates, sometimes to the point where the vent must be enlarged just to make it baffle thickness.

GM

Sure! Assuming it's not an acoustically long distance from back to front, then with MLTL alignments it's more about where it is along the line than on which 'face' of the cab it's located.

With the size cabs normally used on this forum, it's not a problem like sometimes is with the relatively huge [vintage spec] cabs I normally deal with.

Similarly [and forgot to mention earlier], if bottom loaded, then it's where the vent terminates inside the cab that ideally needs to be at some pipe odd harmonic, i.e. same plane as when on the baffle.

GM

Thanks to everyone for additional comments - much appreciated. I will stay with round vent. Rare vent would not work for me as these will be speakers for bedroom and need to be located close to the wall.

Another question - is it possible to change depth and width in this design as long as i keep cross section area same? I want to build cabinet that is not more than 145mm deep with 18 or 22mm MDF.

Thank you in advance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.