OB WAW

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So over the weekend I decided to try out the WS25E Visatons open baffle and used a spare pair of Tang Band 4-inch (W4-1052SD) full rangers for the upper mids and tops.

The baffle is nothing like big enough, I'd guess, but I just happened to have those lying around. And the hole kind of fitted for the 10-inch Visatons.

Had a few inductors and caps of random sizes and ended up with about 0.50mH to get a bit more out of the Visatons and cant recall cap values (paralleled three caps).

Long story short, it's the best I've ever heard the TBs sound, with almost palable imaging. The Visatons sounded nice but output isn't quite sufficient; sweet sounding bass but just not much of it.

Wondering whether MA drivers like the A7.3s would work nicely OB as well?
Colour me surprised at how good the TBs sounded.
Also, would the result be better with the Visatons in a sealed enclosure?

and with pic

Attachments

• 20180729_113232.jpg
    20180729_113232.jpg
    728.8 KB · Views: 408
I don’t think you’d have to go with a sealed box to get good bass out of the visatons. Personally, I’m a huge fan of dipolar bass, especially with dipolar top, and building some H-frames for those may get you where you want. If you don’t want to invest the time in cutting and glueing MDF or plywood, you can at least get an idea of how they would sound in H-frames with some foamular panels, or even foam core board.

If you can't get an OB sufficiently far off the wall (two feet at least, three preferred) , try positioning them in the corners of the room (if available), just don't stuck them fully in the corner. I did this and the result ia great. Also, one 10" bass on a flat baffle is not enough, you need at least two per side, or an H-frame....

I have those TB drivers in another build, and yes, they do sound nice.

Adding one or two small notches and they sing.

Any driver can be used on top, especially if you plan to cross them around 200 to 500Hz. Higher Qts drivers are more important for bass duty, but there are ways around. Those Visaton with that high Qts would do fine, they are just missing the cone surface.

Like previously mentioned, OB needs space to breathe. At least 1.5 to 2 meters off any walls. Bass and imaging will improve even more.

Adding wings, or an H frame, will also help extract a little more bass. Just don't expect to get 30Hz out of those smaller 10" drivers. For OB, the saying "bigger is better" really has meaning.

But those Visaton look pretty good, and at a reasonable pricing, so, maybe just adding extra woofers would work. Depending on your room size and expectations on bass, adding at least another pair per speakers, so dual woofers, might be enough for you, and going up to 4 woofers per side would probably start the sound interesting!

Welcome to OB! :)

What I was going to try was install the B200s in sealed cylinders, and cut them off at 250Hz, introducing the TBs open baffle from there on up.

The problem with the WS24Es is their sheer lack of dB and drive on a small baffle and big baffles are considered offensive. Not that 'sewer pipe' (I prefer storm water drain but whatever) is a highlight for the SO either but the cylindrical enclosure is smallish at 1 cubic foot (or as southerners say 28L) and I've tried the B200s before sealed and they sound okay.

I was just so taken with the TBs open baffle that I want to make them work with something not big that also does bass! Im a bit beyond trying to get subwoofers to work for music; it's always such a disappointing and complex compromise to my mind.

What I was going to try was install the B200s in sealed cylinders, and cut them off at 250Hz, introducing the TBs open baffle from there on

I was just so taken with the TBs open baffle that I want to make them work with something not big that also does bass! Im a bit beyond trying to get subwoofers to work for music; it's always such a disappointing and complex compromise to my mind.

Well, having 4 of them will help, and adding wings to the side of the baffle is the equivalent of having a wider baffle. Two things that will help output.

I have the W8-1363sbf at home in small vented boxes, with the Visaton B80 on a small OB. The W8 can be crossed higher and help the B80 feel bigger.

I tried a similar thing to get the Visaton WS25Es to output a bit more, rolling them off around 2k and the TBs at 1000Hz. That did help. Will definitely try the wings though, thanks for that suggestion. Easy enough to implement, even for all-thumbs bumbler like myself. And will pull them out from the wall more too.

Trying an alternative instead, I've put the Visaton B200s in a sealed enclosure and attached another full ranger I had spare, the Galaxy Audio S5N8, running them open baffle. Been trying them biamped with active crossover (in the main home set-up) so I will need to create some form of passive X over for them. But it's a better mix I think on balance. Will tweak the other set up and choose between them for the secondary system. Whatever, I'm really enjoying how these full rangers go when crossed over around 200Hz and used open baffle.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.