Full range outdoor BT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2018
Paid Member
Hello people of diyaudio.

My first post and have been reading up a lot over the last couple weeks.

In the UK so driver selection and availability is a factor.

I come from a background of good SQ hi fi and half decent home cinema. I have a denon/rel/monitor audio radius set up. My bro has Avalon speakers..Allnic amps and Linn Sondek etc.....it sounds a bit good but my AV system suits me.

However I want a fun family outdoor BT speaker. We have a Revo Superconnect in the kitchen and generally crank that up to full tilt when we are dining outside. I'm surprised it hasn't called it a day as it sounds nasty at really high level when doing LF.

So I would like to do a BT outdoor system. Preferably something without XO seeing as this is my first build. Soldering is not an issue for me but specifying the XO components is more than I care for just now.

It will probably be a low voltage DC set up using a tpa3116d2 or similar . Ive order3d a proper Sure Electronics BT reciever.

My big question is drivers. I'm tempted with the Faital pro 3fe or 4fe due to the 91db sens. Also Hivi and even tectonics bmr appeal.
I need some reasonable LF output being outside .

Have considered a sub plus mains option but cable runs are a consideration. One box would be a good solution albeit compromised I know.

I'm leaning towards 2 Faital pro with possibly 2 PR?

Any guidance appreciated

James

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The Mark Audio Alpair 5.2 is available in the UK (kjf audio (Kent i believe)) and is very good (likely good enuff to show up the shortcomings of Blue Tooth). Small enclosure of 2-2.5 litre.

A PR is a substitute for a vent in the cases wher eyou are tuning low in a small box and the vent becomes too large. I am not a big fan of them.

dave

The faitals are great little units, with good efficiency.

I have brought my TABAQs to the beach often, and always have people comment how that small driver can output this good bass. The tall and slender design makes them easy to stash in a corner near the door, and take them out when you need them.

Lately, I have downsized to be a little bit more portable using XRK's mini-karlsonators, which are also very good using the Faitals.

Search for Faital drivers in either of these threads.

TABAQ TL for Tang Band

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's

^ I'll second the Karlsonator recommendation with the 3fe25, that's what I run as my desk speakers. Easy to build, and you could either do the dual driver setup like shown in that thread, or alternately you could do single drivers in .4x k'nators with a spacer between them for a little bit of toe-out for wider dispersion coverage. And you can build them in an evening with dollar store materials!

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Thanks all for the insightful replies. Looking like the Faital for this first build just to cut my teeth, but I have looked into postage from the states to the UK from PE and soundimports from Holland
That will open up driver choice from Dayton, HiVi and Tang Band amongst others, so for another build i may look to swallow the costs to shop these in from overseas.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I agree that a dual 3FE25-16 wired in parallel for 8ohms and 97dB in 0.53x Karlsonator would be good choice as high sensitivity outdoors is great.

Another option if you have access to Dayton drivers is the 0.53x Karlsonator with PA130-8.

You can get a Sanwu TPA3116 with built in BT for about $12. They sound very good and just need 19v from a laptop brick. You could put the amp PCB inside the cabinet no problem. Connect left and right via speaker wire via external binding posts. This gives it ability to be both powered and unpowered passive speaker. I don’t think it’s an issue to drive the outputs of a TPA3116 output with signal from and external amp if the TPA is turned off.

This one has USB or CF inputs as well:
TPA3116 Bluetooth Receiver Amplifier Audio FM radioBoard Digital U Disk TF Decoding With Remote 2X50W Amplificador-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I have tried this one and works well:
TPA3116 Bluetooth 4.0 Two channel Stereo Audio Power Amplifier Board 2*50W -in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Last edited:
Joined 2018
Paid Member
More useful info there thanks. Especially that first amp you linked. It mentions FM. That would be great. Not sure what the TF card is.....microSD?

I have a breeze audio 3116 to play with and have also order3d the Sure BT4 apt x card and also one of these...

TPA3116D2 DC24V 2x 100W two-channel stereo Class D digital audio amplifier board
TPA3116D2 DC24V 2x 100W two channel stereo Class D digital audio amplifier board-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group to clipboard

Untried but look to have good quality components

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Having decided on the 3FE22 8ohm version, I have jotted a few notes down and seem to have written 1.5 litres, 25mm port and a 1mH/6.8R BSC filter.

Do you think the BSC is required for outdoor use.?
And is that 1.5 litres per driver? Using 2 in stereo so im guessing 3litres.

Thanks

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Connect left and right via speaker wire via external binding posts. This gives it ability to be both powered and unpowered passive speaker. I don’t think it’s an issue to drive the outputs of a TPA3116 output with signal from and external amp if the TPA is turned off.

I think I proved this wrong! I tried to wire it into the back of my MA Radius speakers whilst they were still wired to my Denon AVR. Blew the chip! Even with no audio signal playing.

This refers to a Breeze audio amp I picked up, not the PBTL board I linked to

Aptx is only available for selected Android phones. And is not lossless even if you consider 1411kbps CD quality lossless.

Easiest way to understand different formats is when you compare them in kbps.

Streaming providers:

Apple Music: 256kbps AAC
Spotify: up to 320kbps OGG
Google Play Music All Access: Up to 320kbps MP3
Deezer: 320kbps MP3, 1411kbps FLAC, MQA (3072 kbps)
Tidal: 1411kbps FLAC, 320kbps AAC, 24-bit MQA (3072 kbps)
Amazon Music Unlimited: Undisclosed, presumed 320kbps
Qobuz: 320kbps MP3, 1411kbps FLAC, 24-bit FLAC (3072 kbps)

BT streaming quality:

SBC - The mandatory and default codec for all stereo Bluetooth - 328 kbps
Apple iOS/OSX AAC BT codec has a limit of 250 kbps. Apple uses a bit different technological approach and their AAC 250 kbps sounds similar to SBC 328 kbps.
aptX - 384 kbps
aptX HD - 576 kbps
Sony LDAC (Andorid) - 990 kbps

Someone please correct me if I made a mistake somewhere.

Basically BT streaming is big a mess with different technologies on different platforms. I assume most of us use iPhones for streaming, so my suggestion would be streaming via wifi with this affordable tiny box. Neet(R) - WiFi Wireless Music Receiver - AIRPLAY + DNLA: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

You can attach this to any BT speaker system, runs on 12v. It uses Wifi-Direct technology which means you don't have to be conneted to Wifi network, phone and box will communicate directly. Then iPhone users can use AirPlay streaming - it is 100% always cd quality 1411 kbps.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Yes thanks for all that. And the link to the Dayton speakers. Look good value.

My wife has iPhone and streaming music to her car with BT is appreciably lower SQ than my Samsung phone.

This speaker build of mine has taken a different direction now but I will update soon.

Last edited:
Joined 2018
Paid Member
So as promise my BT outdoor speaker morphed into a stereo pair of small bookshelves, just to cut my teeth in speaker building. Based on an Ikea storage box and Faital Pro 3fe22. Approx 3.5 litre after adding a plywood lining to stiffen. 30mm port of 90mm length tuned to 85hz.

Only got them finished last night so limited listening so far. They are in my living room powered from denon avr and teamed with a rel sub.

Initial impressions are of an amazing soundstage. Way better than my Monitor Audio radius 90.

I shall start a new thread and close this one here.

20180924_152611.jpg

20180924_172414.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.