Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Alphabet Soup: FAST DML with SLOB
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th July 2018, 12:09 AM   #1
outfoxhyperion is offline outfoxhyperion
diyAudio Member

Default Alphabet Soup: FAST DML with SLOB

Howdy all, I finished up my latest living room set of speakers (we're on rotation number four at this point, I think) and I thought I'd share some pictures. Hopefully counts as full range, since it's FAST, but if not toss me over into multi-way. They're made with the Dayton Audio Ultra exciters from PE for wideband duties, supported by PE buyout Titan subwoofers in a SLOB configuration. Two exciters per channel, two woofers per channel four eight total drivers.... Sure is a lot for a FAST system
If you've never done DML panels before, I'd highly recommend trying them. They're super simple, just mix PVA glue with water 50/50 and roll it on sanded XPS panels.

ANYWAY, I bet you wanna know how it performs. I don't have a calibrated mic, so you'll have to accept my less-than-well-trained ears as judgement. Vocals on this are FANTASTIC, that's something DML panels just really excel at. Orchestral stuff is good, jazz is great, but surprisingly, these are good enough that you could play a small EDM show and get away with it. Just running sine sweeps, you feel 15 Hz. They start to really get loud around 27 Hz. The issues arise when you get up into the 200 Hz range and start dealing with cavity resonance, but they're crossed well below that with the wideband DMLs taking over around 150. The biggest problem, I think, is that I'm running a car audio active crossover that only does first order. I'll probably switch to miniDSP soon, but I'm moving house in a month, so it'll have to wait until after that. Anyway, pictures below!
IMG_1776.jpg

IMG_1775.jpg

IMG_1774.jpg

IMG_1773.jpg
Old 24th July 2018, 02:37 AM   #2
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Cool, dml's are on my "to try" list.

Did you put the exciters in the middle of the panels? I thought it was better to off centre them.
Old 24th July 2018, 02:40 AM   #3
sthcoaster is offline sthcoaster  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perceval View Post
Cool, dml's are on my "to try" list.

Did you put the exciters in the middle of the panels? I thought it was better to off centre them.
They look off-centre in the pictures
Old 24th July 2018, 02:44 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

They're off-center. 2/5 of the way from the top and the same into one side. They're mirrored, so they're offset from the left edge of the left speaker and from the right side of the right speaker. I don't think it actually makes a difference to sound reproduction, but since the backs of the speaker are fully exposed I think it looks better that way. Seriously though, Perceval, I would give it a shot. I don't know how easy it is to get XPS insulation in Taiwan, but you can do the same thing with foamcore with the same treatment, and I've heard corrugated plastic works well too. Hell, straight up styrofoam will do the job.
Old 24th July 2018, 03:18 AM   #5
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by outfoxhyperion View Post
since it's FAST...
just a note. we are working hard to lose the generally dislike term FAST WITH WAW Woofer Assisted Wideband.

dave
Old 24th July 2018, 03:20 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks Dave, duly noted. I had seen that term used a lot too, wasn't sure which one I should use for the title. I'll use WAW in the future.
Old 24th July 2018, 02:04 PM   #7
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Nice work! I like the frame and suspension arrangement. Painting black looks a lot better than pink color with manufacturers label.

I’m sure they sound good and with a sub to support - will have some power behind them. I missed what you are using for XO? Or full range with DMLs at present and plate amp XO low pass on sub?

One other idea for sub for FAST are very nicely made low cost consumer HT subs like Polk PSW10. $89 and is does a very decent job. You just need to add your own top of whatever it is.
Old 24th July 2018, 02:24 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi XRK,
I actually use india ink to color the panels, I've tried paint before and it actually affects the sound - sounds veiled, distant. I've read that with these you're really listening to the "skin" of the material, so I guess that makes sense.
As far as Xover goes, I'm running a $30 Planet Audio car crossover off Amazon - kind of a mistake, I think. I've been struggling to isolate a ground loop since I set it up.
I forgot to mention, but I've got the subs running off of a late-90s model Pioneer AV receiver and the panels off of one of those 20WPC Lepai amps. Sorta visible in the background is the fifth (and singular mono) sub, one of the 100W 10" Dayton subs, don't remember the model off the top of my head.
Edit: The Dayton sub only kicks in under 40 Hz
Old 24th July 2018, 02:51 PM   #9
Vix is offline Vix  Yugoslavia
diyAudio Member

Wow, I mean Waw
Interesting combination. One must think outside the box and try various things. This is one of them, I like it.
Just get a good mini DSP, or a decent active crossover. It will sound much better. As it is, I am sure you have not uncovered even half of their potential
Old 24th July 2018, 03:38 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi Vix, I tend to agree with you there. I plan to get a calibrated mic when I get a miniDSP as well and hopefully sort out some of my balance issues. I think these drivers need a good bit of break-in, too, as a lot of the noise has started to go away.

Alphabet Soup: FAST DML with SLOBHide this!Advertise here!