My FR10HM corner-ceiling-floor-array

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Intrigued by some corner array projects here, I decided to build myself a pair for the summer house. After some investment analysis I went for the cheap path and got 50 pcs of:

FR 10 HM - 8 Ohm | Visaton

Cost was 310€ taxed and shipped via Mouser.

Corners are 190+ cm high so 18 drivers in per array.

6x3 => 3,75 ohm.... any other way to do it?

I hope for the 20/80 rule to kick in :) and to get some really nice experiences for a less amount of euro. This place is not heated during the cold and damp winter so better not go full in this time. Next version will have to be with 10f/ if this seem to turn out well :)

Pictures and impression as things unfolds...

//

Attachments

• gtha4.png
    gtha4.png
    103.2 KB · Views: 1,146
Last edited:
Interesting build and probably chance to get best sound summer house sound in neighborhood :) will especially be interesting if 10F comes up down the road in have not so far seen anybody go that road, for the harsh enviroment during the cold and damp winter guess build materials for 10F is a bit better protected.

Interesting to hear your experiences. I think that driver is worth checking out, it's been around for ages, has an very extended frequency response and a high Q that allows lots of room with EQ and stuffing to balance that out.

Is your design sealed or open at an end? I know of one design which has the pipe open, making it like an offset driver TL, with drivers at basically every position. Measurement looked very good.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I will make it closed. If I can avoid using my DLCP it would be nice. I'm sure a few EQ corrections is needed and I hope that a few passive components can cure the worst one or two. Maybe I will explore the possibilities to introduce EQ into my sorekris DAC as an alternative.

FR 10 HM response seem wide enough but not as smooth as the SS or Vifas. We will see. Distorsion unknown. Narrow dispersion after 4-6k.

10f would be for a hopefully upcoming new listening room which in case is for permanent living.

//

Last edited:
FR 10 HM response seem wide enough but not as smooth as the SS or Vifas. We will see. Distorsion unknown. Beam upwards.

10f would be for a hopefully upcoming new listening room which in case is for permanent living.

//

It reminds me very much of Ciare CH250, Beyma 8AG, budget PA stuff that just works. More expensive and better graphs is not always better, especially when the budget design was better informed about what is more relevant and what is less.

I will make it closed. If I can avoid using my DLCP it would be nice. I'm sure a few EQ corrections is needed and I hope that a few passive components can cure the worst one or two. Maybe I will explore the possibilities to introduce EQ into my sorekris DAC as an alternative.

FR 10 HM response seem wide enough but not as smooth as the SS or Vifas. We will see. Distorsion unknown. Narrow dispersion after 4-6k.

//

Count on the need for EQ, there's not an easy way around it with an array like this.
I assume you have read this thread? It does a good job of explaining the need for the EQ.

I hope the budget drivers will work out for you. The whizzer scared me a bit for this job, to be honest. :eek: I hope it'll be alright.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Some initial listening tests indeed seem to verify that the whizzer might be a problem. As I have a lot f them so I "wasted" one. Well, the presented FR is tilting upwards in the top so if that flattens out I have no problem losing it. Depends on what happens to dispersion. Sound is... well not as "refined" as 10f - I do own a pair - but hey ;)

They seem a least usable :) and I can imagine it will be a fun system but maybe not super exact. Thats within spec!!! :)

Measurement gear in other location so it will be a few days before any more meaningful insight.

I calculated the resulting system efficiency to be 98dB/1m/1w and should be able to digest 360 watt for a wopping 122 dB+some.

//

Attachments

• many_visato.jpg
    many_visato.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 960
  • w_o_whizz.jpg
    w_o_whizz.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 931
Agree on the whizzer... I have sharpened my scalpels ;)

//

That's not necessarily a good idea. So far, all reports of "whizzerectomy" I have seen said "not better" or "worse". The whizzer is integrated into the system. Remove it and something will/might be unbalanced.

Also, the array will change response as well. Build the array first, listen and measure first, EQ next and *then* see if it needs more work/whizzerectomy.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thinking about how to build and assemble in the absolutely simplest way. Maybe I can mould a baffle say 1 cm thick out of concrete. There is this variant with plastics armour ready as you buy the mix. Add som metal mesh for further strength. I have found plastic glasses that are 94mm in diameter - I'll glue these in the bottom of the form and the just pour 10 mm concrete incl. armour. It will need about 10 litre, 24 kg concrete for each.

Then glue the drivers in place instead of drilling hundreds (144) of holes and twiddle with bolts and nuts.

//

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    389.8 KB · Views: 543
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 480
Last edited: