New Markaudio Drivers

My P7PHD has been running for 150hours at least. Roughly 200+hours. I haven't heard of other Markaudio paper cone but this paper cone sound so unique. Someone like it a lot. Some are so used to modern speaker and they may not like it.

It remind me the old alnico driver like JBL Lancer 99 or LE8T. It may match better with tube amp.

I cannot say it has less resolution or has a smaller soundstage when compare with Alpair 7m3. It's just different. The has more bass and the vocal is more prominent. Still, it screams slightly and A7M3 IS MORE relaxing

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I use mine (P7P) as a wide band mid, not true full range. I think the Japanese had super tweeters in mind all along when they suggested or requested this design set and features. I spent the best part of 15 years in Japan with the Navy and this is surely the case; they LOVE their super tweeters for sure!

Fostex makes tons of ST's so I'm sure this is what they were thinking. I can gives hints here or PM me if you wish. I have never heard the metal cone MA's except the A7MS which I don't like at all.

Let me know...

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Well, it works GREAT with my Fostex T90A. Do you happen to have any spare inductors, capacitors, etc. already? I do this all the time. For simple starters though; try just an inductor for 1st order low pass; values between 0.15 mH and 0.33 mH. I sometimes order inexpensive parts to try first; you can't always go by the spec sheets or OEM data and exactly chose the correct values on the first try without very good software (I don't do it that way). I do it by trial and error, experiment. If unsure; start with maybe 0.22 mH to 0.27 mH. I recently tried 0.25 mH and it matched really well with another tweeter I was experimenting with. Another tip; if you choose a higher value inductor; you can then start adding resistors in parallel to increase the high frequencies SLIGHTLY (subtle, I can give specifics if you wish).

Look at the impedance curve for the frequency you are considering; don't use the "static" impedance value from the data sheet. The VC inductance is very low, however, so the Z curve is fairly flat and doesn't rise all that much really compared to other drivers. (it goes from about 5 Ohms to more than 7 Ohms)

https://www.markaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Pluvia-Seven-PHD-spec-sheet.pdf

If you want very SPECIFIC ideas; maybe we should do that via PM so we don't clog up this thread too bad...

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Exactly what I was thinking about the 7phd oldspkrguy. Rolling off at 5k to avoid the rough spots is perfect for adding a ST. I'm not in Japan but close, Cambodia.

Try a calculated 1st order LP for 3600 to 4400 Hz. Remember to use the Z curve, not the static spec sheet "nominal value" It would obviously depend on the super tweeter. I haven't measured exactly (just quick looks) but here is what my calculations were based on.
If we assume 6.2 Ohms at 4000 Hz, -3 dB is approximately with a 0.25 mH inductor. It worked well with one tweeter I tried. But; I always experiment.

I am now using my P7P differently and now need a 2nd order LP; most likely a 1st order will work for you.

The bump around 5000 Hz is I believe what we both are hearing so that's why you should probably consider crossing lower than 5000 (per above; 4000 is a good first try)

I have found I prefer the sound when using a flat foil inductor, 14 AWG equivalent or better. It seems to help even the bass; I think the DCR has a lot to do with this but there may be other "measurable" or "scientific" reasons why the flat foil sounds better than just a regular wound coil wire. I always start with inexpensive X/O components first if unsure...

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You can make the box as wide as you’d like, but (for BR) the small Vas means either a very shallow box or the baffle extending beyond the box extents (ie mounting in the wall). Some of the larger horns/TLs could be tweaked to have widish baffles.

The CGR is an example of a “wide & shallow” vented box for the A11ms (same as this one for the P11 but for the details). It could be made wider at the expense of height, but that makes the baffle shape closer to square.

Pluvia11-CGR.jpg

dave

My Mark Audio Odyssey

Just finished this build and though it might be of interest. Drivers are 10p and 12pw and SB acoustics tweeter. The speaker is 3D printed and features a hollow 18mm outer wall which is filled with pourable urethane rubber. Internal bracing is a 3d permeable (but incredible rigid) structure called known as gyroid infil. So the speaker is braced by a rigid internal foam like structure with rubber walls.

Drivers are mounted in compression with a face ring that post tensions the driver frame against a block that sits behind the magnet. All drivers are decoupled from the enclosure at each contact point with o-rings. I trimmed quite a bit of the mounting flange of each driver on the lathe, this was a bit scary but necessary to increase the rigidity of the driver frame in compression and to keep the baffle size and mounting ring as small as possible.

Sealed internal cavity is about 50lt and features my approximation of an exponential absorber tapering towards the top of the enclosure.

Amplifier is made up of 8 individual channels with active crossovers at 200hz and 3000hz. So one channel per driver except for the two 10p which share a channel and are connected in series.

I have learned a lot from this forum over the years and hope that some of you find this design interesting. I have made quite a few boxes with Mark Audio drivers over the past years and lots of listening led me to the decision that i wanted to go with this design. I guess the goal was to get the incredible articulation of the MA drivers but to marry that with the benefits of a multi driver design. I know this isn't really Mark's intension for his his driver designs but I think the sound quality of this design really speaks for itself, it is just breathtaking.

Anyway, big thanks to Mark Fenlon for his visionary engineering and also to this forum for providing such excellent information.

Best wishes,
Ben.

PS sorry the pictures are sideways... not sure how to fix this.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 7.19.03 pm.PNG
    Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 7.19.03 pm.PNG
    395 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_4094.jpg
    IMG_4094.jpg
    535.8 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_4231 2.jpg
    IMG_4231 2.jpg
    602.4 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_4388.jpg
    IMG_4388.jpg