New Markaudio Drivers

the FR graphs are still key, in combination with the impedance plot. Whilst a driver with a good FR may not be guaranteed to sound great I’ve found amongst drivers I’ve heard with poor FR that they often have issues. For my ears, ragged treble is a worry and although it brings for some that detailed sound, I grow tired of it over time unless it abates quickly as you move off axis. The 11ms has a troubling on axis FR but hard to say if it’s a problem for sensitive eats as I’ve seen no off axis data for it. The 10.3 has a rising treble response compared with the 10p and folk who prefer one over the other often cite the treble as the reason for it. Some like the 10.3 over the 10p, but the 10p is smoother to many folk and it out sells the 10.3 from what I’ve read.

Last edited:
Does "vintage" = flat or falling response above 8 - 10K?

Attached is the published FR for the 10p. It looks rather well behaved. I would NOT describe the FR as a vintage driver. It may sound a little tame compared with the elevated treble of the 10.3, especially off-axis, but by itself it looks like a thoroughly modern FR driver. The off-axis data looks well behaved too. I can see why it's so popular.

Attachments

• 10p.png
    10p.png
    335.5 KB · Views: 726
I'm still surprised no one has managed to make a superior way to evaluate speakers in a technical sense. It would seem our ears are still best?

Has anyone collaborated all the graphs and measurements into a point system, to establish a baseline accurate quality? And can any sort of measuerments pick out things like 'paper driver/vintage sound'?

My other hobby is photography where there is a great demand for mimicking different film stock of the past from kodak, Fujifilm ect.. I've often wondered with the increased use of DSP if we would see something similar to the film mimicking but in the audio world. People taking measurements of classic speakers then building profiles then shared with others.

My other hobby is photography where there is a great demand for mimicking different film stock of the past from kodak, Fujifilm ect.. I've often wondered with the increased use of DSP if we would see something similar to the film mimicking but in the audio world. People taking measurements of classic speakers then building profiles then shared with others.

It is done in the pro audio world, and a little in the hifi world as well.

For pro audio, people have been measuring guitar cabs and emulating them in software. So, you can get a vintage sounding amplifier and speaker, and change to a hi-gain full drive modern unit at the click of a mouse.

For hifi, it's mostly been emulating space. Started in the old days with Yamaha's DSP to simulate an arena concert, or a low ceiling jazz joint.

Sonarworks has a software that lets your headphones simulate vintage speakers in a room, or a more modern setup.

Other companies have stepped up and provide systems that can emulate a specific place, for example, Notre Dame Cathedral, in Paris.

I've been wondering if I could take the new 7MS and drop it into my Martello-2 enclosure, as an upgrade for the EL-70 (in terms of finesse). Not sure what adjustment I'd have to make to the port length though.

MARTELLO-2, a mini-tower from a single 2' x 4'

The routed openings in the box will fit the 7MS and the screw holes can readily be created for the new driver. I realize that the T/L are a bit different and bass extension may therefore be different.

EL70
===
fs = 64Hz
Qts = 0.55
Vas = 6.1L

7MS
===
fs = 75Hz
Qts = 0.565
Vas = 5L

Last edited:
Wow nice ms11 set up!!

I notice there is a lot of talk, but I would not mind, some photo's and more designs! ;)

I noticed in another thread a lot of designes from Scott, for the pluvia's.

I for one, would be very interested in some duall a11ms monitors. Simular designs from pluvia ar available

And here some examples of omega audio.

Omega uses a lowpass on the lower driver in the monitors. I would like to use both drivers full range. 2 times the ms11 gives the same demension of a 8/8,5" driver. And the same moving mass as many 8/8,5" woofers.

Attachments

• Enorm-Gallery3068-super-3-ho-monitor-deephemp-combo-natural-cherry-7-0164-0164_980x980.jpg
    Enorm-Gallery3068-super-3-ho-monitor-deephemp-combo-natural-cherry-7-0164-0164_980x980.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 481
  • photo-gallery-3068-super-3-ho-xrs-wide-natural-walnut-3-0162_980x980.jpg
    photo-gallery-3068-super-3-ho-xrs-wide-natural-walnut-3-0162_980x980.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 472
  • photo-gallery-3068-super-3-ho-wide-mon-natural-walnut-3-0217_980x980.jpg
    photo-gallery-3068-super-3-ho-wide-mon-natural-walnut-3-0217_980x980.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 468