New Markaudio Drivers

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thanks Dave, those A11/A7 MTM’s sound interesting, any pictures of those you could share ?

A12pWeN + A7.3eN.

A12pw-MTM-comp.jpg

dave

Yeah, they are very interesting and pleasing!

I'm using a Parasound Zamp V3 amp for my mains. Previous I was using a HifimeDIY T1-M which was ok. The Parasound does sound nice but I switched from the A6m to the A7MS around the same time as I switched amps so I can't give any detailed reflections.

It goes: Creative Omni USB Soundcard -> MiniDSP (which goes off to a Behringer iNuke amp for my TB subs) -> Zamp -> A7MS

The creative card is OK but in my setup it has a high pitched sine tone that comes on only during playback and for a second or so after. It is incredibly irritating so that might be my next thing to look at.

I'm not sure what to use as my centre channel amp. Maybe another Zamp? Suggestions are always welcome as long as they don't break the bank!

Graham,

Thanks for sharing your listening impressions on the Alpair 7MS. Sounds like you are enjoying what they have to offer. :)

What amplifier are you using now and what are planning to get?

If you are using a desktop the ASUS xonar cards get good reviews.

The ST/STX (pci/pcie) is for high quality stereo (there is a v2 available aswell), the D2/D2X are for 7.1. Both can be had for around £50-75 off eBay if you are patient. Suspect these will be a step up from the creative.

Asus Xonar Essence STX Sound Card | eBay

Asus Xonar D2X PCI Express 7.1 Channel Audio card 4719543030332 | eBay

If you need usb then the u5 or u7 again may be a slight step up.

Finally, for stereo there are many USB DACs out there, the Fostex A3, audioengine d2, beresford 7520 and behringer umc202hd all have volume control so you can set app and pc volume to max ensuring no loss of bits and use the analogue volume. All can be had for £50-100 either new or second hand.

Thanks man, the USB route is the way I go as my computer is 2 metres from my amp and DSP. I considered the Asus USB cards when I got the Creative one but I clearly made the wrong decision!

If you are using a desktop the ASUS xonar cards get good reviews.

The ST/STX (pci/pcie) is for high quality stereo (there is a v2 available aswell), the D2/D2X are for 7.1. Both can be had for around £50-75 off eBay if you are patient. Suspect these will be a step up from the creative.

Asus Xonar Essence STX Sound Card | eBay

Asus Xonar D2X PCI Express 7.1 Channel Audio card 4719543030332 | eBay

If you need usb then the u5 or u7 again may be a slight step up.

Finally, for stereo there are many USB DACs out there, the Fostex A3, audioengine d2, beresford 7520 and behringer umc202hd all have volume control so you can set app and pc volume to max ensuring no loss of bits and use the analogue volume. All can be had for £50-100 either new or second hand.

First of all a big thank you to @orangeart for posting some nice videos on YouTube with Mark Fenlon and the wonderful speaker design ideas of dr. Scott!

One question I had after viewing the one about the designing of the Alpair 11 MS: at some point it is mentioned that the 11 is good for larger sized spaces whereas the 7 MS is more suited for smaller rooms; what sizes of rooms would be considered "big" or "small" corresponding to the various driver sizes? And is the bigger driver in a small room in some way detrimental or a worse idea than utilizing the 7?

While the larger driver's higher acoustic efficiency is ideally required with larger rooms and/or lower power sources, it's more a function of listening distance, i.e. the closer one sits [LP], the wider the speaker's polar response ideally needs to be whereas with a longer distance more directivity is required to keep first reflections > 500- 1 kHz [depending on who you ask] to the side/behind the [LP].

In the case of needing a narrower than normal 'sweet spot', a larger driver is the better choice in any size room, ditto where the speaker, LP are near/at opposite walls.

Ideally then, one would spend a little time drawing the room's floor plan to scale with major reflective surfaces, speaker, LP positions [normally should always be at odd harmonics] to see what polar angle works best overall for keeping > 500- 1 kHz off the walls, floor, ceiling or at least where damping is required.

GM

And how loud you listen.

dave

Yes, that is huge! Depending on music type and mood I would listen at levels easily differing by 10db or more. That’s at least 10 times more power at loud levels. When you try to push a small driver too loud you get higher distortion levels and compression. In small doses it sounds ok and you don’t notice it until you hear a speaker which has the dynamic range required to play loud and clean. What is loud is a question with as many answers as listeners. Will it play loud enough is one of the most common concerns folks have when looking into a small single driver speakers. Without hearing them in person it’s hard to judge.

Ideally then, one would spend a little time drawing the room's floor plan to scale with major reflective surfaces, speaker, LP positions [normally should always be at odd harmonics] to see what polar angle works best overall for keeping > 500- 1 kHz off the walls, floor, ceiling or at least where damping is required.

GM

Funny thing is, I took over my present apt. from a guy who works in architecture, so he had the whole place drawn up in Sketchup. Whilst moving in the first thing I did was map in some loudspeakers, off course!

The room is pretty small ('tis the part of Yurp with some of the worst property prices on the planet, after all!), the Frugel Horns pictured are done to scale. Ceiling height is only 2.40 m and the ground plan is 4 x 6-ish. The room has therefore some pretty neat ratio's, approaching 1.414 - but reflections are an issue. There's carpet, curtains, books on the walls and double doors opening into a bedroom, als well as a relatively large sofa now, so it's by no means a lively room in terms of acoustics.

The CHR-70's I have now fill the room nicely at my listening levels - again, nothing too loud, this is an inner city place and I like to thinkg of myself as a good neighbor.

In theory frugel horns with the 7 MS should work nicely, but I have this nagging feeling that IF I'm going to build my be-all-end-all, I should just go with the grand daddy of the driver range.

Maybe I should just shut my trap and build those damn Frugels already, they're the only really design icons of the DIY loudspeaker world anyway ;)

frugelhorns by ctjr, on Flickr