New Markaudio Drivers

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help do a sanity check for me-- I seem to have some crackling during female vocals, happening at volumes ranging from low to high in my right speaker (MAOP 11's). An example is in London Grammar - Hey Now, about 2:22 in:

Hey Now - song by London Grammar | Spotify

When testing on my headphones, I also seem to get the same crackle which relieves me a bit and makes me think it's just the recordings I'm listening to.

I did a sweeping frequency test and nothing came up, though I know sound waves can be complex.

Could anyone else check for me?

Thanks in advance!

Xovaan,

Listened to this track many times before, but never bothered about the crackles / noise... probably thought it's static being generated by those things in the video. :D Now that you mention it, there's something at 2:22 and other places too.

Btw, it's a pretty demanding track; keep an eye on the volume knob. :)

I know the 7cm and 11cm sizes are standard, but after seeing the CHR90, I'm actually very hopeful to see Alpair 9 and Pluvia 9 sized drivers too! What I like about such a 9cm sized driver is the 15cm outer frame size which correspond to standard 5.25" midwoofers where our jigs are commonly set up for. I do know about the Alpair 10 of course, but the seeing that the 11 replaces the 10, a new intermediate 9 between the 7 and 11 would be great.

Last edited:
I know the 7cm and 11cm sizes are standard, but after seeing the CHR90, I'm actually very hopeful to see Alpair 9 and Pluvia 9 sized drivers too! What I like about such a 9cm sized driver is the 15cm outer frame size which correspond to standard 5.25" midwoofers where our jigs are commonly set up for. I do know about the Alpair 10 of course, but the seeing that the 11 replaces the 10, a new intermediate 9 between the 7 and 11 would be great.

As a minor note, the Alpair 11 does not actually replace the Alpair 10; the latter are continuing as long as people want to buy them.

It looks like they also have a MAOP-10 too. My question is: could I use the MAOP-10 in a CGR cabinet, and if so, should I use the 10P vent arrangement or the 10.3 arrangement?

Dave will be able to confirm, & I'm currently away for my health & on a laptop so limited access to records, but the MAOP10 was historically based on the 10.2, so the 10.3 venting variation may end up working better.

Thanks Dave.

The CGR plans indicates only the internal bracing and the lining of all internal walls inside the box. What can de done for tuning? Stuffing? Wall lining material?

FHXL extract sthe most bottom out of the driver. CGR is much smaller, less bass extention but what there is is very articualte.

CGR needs to be carefully tuned, in FHXL the box dominates and the stuffing is used for tuning.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thanks Dave.

The CGR plans indicates only the internal bracing and the lining of all internal walls inside the box. What can de done for tuning? Stuffing? Wall lining material?

miniOnkens are tuned by carefully adjusting the tuning. I will be looking at the MAOP 10 & 11 and coming back with appropriate vent changes.

dave