New Markaudio Drivers

Audio Nirvana do not produce a drive unit of the same size as the Alpair 11MS, so it is not possible to make any direct comparisons. In broad design terms Audio Nirvana / Gui-Sound [IIRC their OEM] and Mark Audio are quite different in their approach and objectives, the former being narrow-gap paper cone units, the latter long-throw metal or paper depending on model, with a focus on shallow curvilinear or negative camber cone profiles. Products from the two manufacturers also typically require completely different box sizes, tunings &c. Given these differences, all that can realistically be said in comparative terms is just that -they're different. Some like one, some the other, some don't like specific models but prefer others. YMMV.

Last edited:
AN also have 6,5 inch drivers. About the same size as the ms11 I think.

About 20% larger than the 11MS, which would be roughly classed in the 5.75in bracket. The Alpair 12P is in the 6 1/2in size category however.

The AN have a higher efficiency, strong motor and lighter cones.

Well, as noted they're short-gap designs. That being said, a couple of points. Mms is not just the cone: it's the mass of all moving components, which means the cone, the front & rear suspensions and the voice coil. The AN drivers do not all have high motor strength: the AlNiCo versions are actually quite weak, and this is reflected in their high Qts and efficiency. Despite being about 20% larger than the Alpair 11MS, the 6.5 AlNiCo has a 1m/w rating almost exactly the same, and about 3dB lower than the Alpair 12P, which is in roughly its own 6.5in - 7in size bracket by Sd. That is with a short gap, short coil & 1mm point-to-point rated Xmax. In comparison, the 11MS has a 1-way Xmax rating of 8mm, or 16mm point-to-point. The 12P makes do with 10.8mm. You'd need to use the Super 6.5 Ferrite for the higher SPL, albeit with the same short throw and a low driver Q. As ever, YMMV.

Last edited:
I have Alpair 12P in open baffle XO at 225Hz to 2 12" in a W frame and the 12P is flat to 225Hz.

I love the 12P's smoother than any other fullrange driver I have had. I have not EQ the shout out of these.

Attachments

• XO 225Hz.jpg
    XO 225Hz.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 695
I was thinking of the super ferrite. I will be missing low end, but probably fix that with a sub. I also noticed the very big difference with their alnico drivers. They say they are more smooth and go lower. But thats probably the weeker motor. Qts goes even more than dubble seems to me that smoother meens slower, less detailed.
Dont really see the advantage of the alnico's vs ferrite.
Interesting. The alnico's probably be a better match to my amp (220watt class d). Maby i will look at the 8 inch.
Or go in a different direction..

One step forward, two steps back. Sorry I just can't imagine the AN 6.5 or 8 being anywhere close to the quality of the new Markaudio drivers. Think about it. These drivers are the culmination of a lifetime of Mark Fenlon refining his ideas of speaker driver design. That has my complete respect. And then you have someone the likes of Scott stating these are "game changers". Just my two cents. Feel free to have as much fun as you want in whatever direction you choose.

Hi all,
I’m really intrigued as to how the A7MS compares to the A11MS (that I have) as a mid/tweeter, Dave has threatened to compare them but he’s dragging it out a bit;)
I’m tempted to try a pair myself as I need another pair of MA’s anyway to complete my surround setup, as I’m only using them from 250hz upwards, could I get away with putting them in the 5.5L cabinets my A11MS currently occupy ?