Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New Markaudio Drivers
New Markaudio Drivers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd February 2019, 05:51 PM   #521
orangeart is offline orangeart  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

'tis true, once they are gone there are gone.
Old 22nd February 2019, 06:21 PM   #522
paul burchell is offline paul burchell  Canada
diyAudio Member

That's a shame.
Old 22nd February 2019, 06:58 PM   #523
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Thanks for that confirmation, Stefan. So we now have the choices of Pluvia 7, A7MS and A7-P. Since I think it’s safe to assume that you’re in a position to know, will the other models share the same fate - i.e. to be superceded by the new low profile frame designs? Frankly I found thosr easier to work with than the earlier thicker frames.
Old 22nd February 2019, 07:41 PM   #524
wcwc is offline wcwc  United States
diyAudio Member

Well the 10.3 grey ones are out of stock at madisound along with grey 7.3, 5.2, 6.2, and both Pluvia 7s. The 6P's are no longer listed. With the way Madisound has been discounting the 10's, it would not surprise me if they were clearing inventory because the drivers were to be replaced.
Old 22nd February 2019, 08:12 PM   #525
Octavia is offline Octavia  United States
diyAudio Member

Should we all hold a candle vigil for the passing of the 7.3? First Oppo stops making the 205 that I was saving for and now this. I guess it's another one of life's lessons in non-attachment.
Old 22nd February 2019, 08:17 PM   #526
wcwc is offline wcwc  United States
diyAudio Member

There are still gold/copper 7.3's available at Madisound.
Old 22nd February 2019, 08:23 PM   #527
ultrakaz is offline ultrakaz  United States
diyAudio Member

That is until the next gen "x" comes out, which, of course will be significantly better than the previous generation.

I watched the video (Mark discusses the spider-less design) and found his enthusiasm infectious/inspiring. With regard to if it actually sounds better, don't know (yet), but I like Mark's continuing pursuit of designing/refining/perfecting full range drivers and don't mind patronizing his business. I can't think of any other driver designer that does this. To a point, though, as skipping a generation here or there, does not hurt as the new design evolves; will the outer rubber suspension hold up over the long term, before it shrinks or stretches out and the voice coil starts rubbing? Maybe a new/different surround material will be implemented...(etc)....
Old 22nd February 2019, 08:43 PM   #528
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

New Markaudio Drivers
I think every driver I've used has gone obsolete (FE127, Trio-8, AN Super 15 Ferrite, EL-70) and as I was planning to make use of a pair of A10.3's I have sitting in their boxes here, I can add that one to the list ! - although I suspect the A10p version will live-on for awhile since the paper cone doesn't look like a good candidate for the mono suspension and I believe it sells quite well still?

How else would we have an excuse to keep building speakers without a slew of new drivers

I've also seen a number of transistors go obsolete, or move to SMD. The only thing that has stayed the course have been the ongoing availability of vacuum tubes. Go figure.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 22nd February 2019, 09:11 PM   #529
Octavia is offline Octavia  United States
diyAudio Member

Bigun you make me wish I had saved my Daddy's old tube tester.
Old 22nd February 2019, 10:50 PM   #530
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

New Markaudio Drivers
don't worry about testing them, just plug 'em in !

Well, I'm thinking more that my speaker projects should start incorporating removable baffles to allow for driver changes, a kind of future-proofing. For bass reflex you can get away with quite a bit in terms of flexibility - box volumes can be decreased with additional wooden blocks and port tubes resized for different lengths. Still, I do prefer the non-removable type from an aesthetic perspective and I like a solid glued joint instead of screws etc.

More important, I'm waiting for reports on the 11ms, as I'd like to see some independent listening impressions - I'm not that trusting of MA data sheets as a guide.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Last edited by Bigun; 22nd February 2019 at 10:52 PM.

New Markaudio DriversHide this!Advertise here!