Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New Markaudio Drivers
New Markaudio Drivers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Today, 05:41 PM   #281
chrisb is online now chrisb
diyAudio Member

What’s the room / boundary situation on the left side? It does look like you’ve got plenty of room for the FH3s to work quite nicely, although I’d be inclined to place the big table elsewhere if possible.

Both of the MS drivers have the new style thin mounting frame requiring no countersinking for flush mounting, as well as a 5 hole screw pattern, which would make for a slightly easier build - still need to chamfer the rear side of driver opening. AFAIC, the 7s would definitely be a step up from the CHRs, but if by “grand daddy” of the driver range you’re referring to the A11ms, I’d take closer look at modelling the FHXL for your room.
Due to possibility of tight floor space, a more conventional front firing monopole such as Pensil, or whatever Scott’s MLTL is officially called these days might be more flexible. I built a quickie pair of those this summer, and quite liked them very much - perhaps more than my A10.3/Pensils? Hmm, would need to transport one of them across town again for that test- maybe after I get back from Bermyin a couple of weeks.
Old Today, 06:51 PM   #282
Lohengrimas is offline Lohengrimas  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
What’s the room / boundary situation on the left side? It does look like you’ve got plenty of room for the FH3s to work quite nicely, although I’d be inclined to place the big table elsewhere if possible.

Both of the MS drivers have the new style thin mounting frame requiring no countersinking for flush mounting, as well as a 5 hole screw pattern, which would make for a slightly easier build - still need to chamfer the rear side of driver opening. AFAIC, the 7s would definitely be a step up from the CHRs, but if by “grand daddy” of the driver range you’re referring to the A11ms, I’d take closer look at modelling the FHXL for your room.
Due to possibility of tight floor space, a more conventional front firing monopole such as Pensil, or whatever Scott’s MLTL is officially called these days might be more flexible. I built a quickie pair of those this summer, and quite liked them very much - perhaps more than my A10.3/Pensils? Hmm, would need to transport one of them across town again for that test- maybe after I get back from Bermyin a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the advice Chris.

Left side is double doors, opening to a bedroom. I leave 'm open mostly, so no irksome reflections there.

FHXL's are out, too big, and I think the design works best in the intermediate size, from a visual standpoint. It's either pencils with the 11's or FH's with 7's.

I've read multiple reports here that the horns are just a tad more refined than the pensils, so it's a wash, really. So it's either a bit more money for the 11's, or a bit more work/money in building the FH's.
Old Today, 08:12 PM   #283
AMPMAN is offline AMPMAN
diyAudio Member

Default ted jordans spiderless supension

I have just tuned in to this discussion .regarding ted jordans method of spiderless suspension .he used what he called a microtube which coupled to sponge that was treated with a viscous compound. I had 2 of these drivers wich I have since lost hope this is interest. cheers ampman.
Old Today, 08:48 PM   #284
chrisb is online now chrisb
diyAudio Member

Amp man; Mark’s approach to spiderless is not like that.

Lohengrimas; I’ll have to say that after building a few of both Pensil style designs and many pairs of all three sizes of Frugels - which are not all that difficult- that the horns definitely have more of that “je ne sais quoi” . I’m just not blessed with the floorspace I personally deem necessary for the rear mouth output to properly load the room.

While both the CHRs and A7MS work in the horns, I’d definitely go for the latter.
Old Today, 09:14 PM   #285
blanca12 is offline blanca12
diyAudio Member

the USB route is the way I go as my computer is 2 metres from my amp and DSP. I considered the Asus USB cards when I got the Creative one but I clearly made the wrong decision!
Old Today, 09:20 PM   #286
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Speaking purely in terms of driver size, I'm of the view that if enough is sufficient, too much is just right. From a practical POV, that can't always be done & there are other matters to consider, so if you like the FH3 aesthetic, then I'd go with that with the 7MS or your alternative choice of suitable driver & enjoy.

New Markaudio DriversHide this!Advertise here!