Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New Markaudio Drivers
New Markaudio Drivers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th October 2018, 03:25 PM   #271
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Yes, in the respective enclosures (the 11MS in FHXL, the 7MS in FH3). I checked a little while ago & they do well.
Old 16th October 2018, 09:03 PM   #272
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

New Markaudio Drivers
Yes, that was the very 1st news i got from Scott re the new drivers.

dave
Old 16th October 2018, 09:40 PM   #273
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

That was priority box number 1 to check.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 16th October 2018 at 09:45 PM.
Old 19th October 2018, 07:28 AM   #274
justplay is offline justplay
diyAudio Member

How is the new MS series compare to the MAOP version? Does anyone have any experience? Thanks.
Old 20th October 2018, 05:28 PM   #275
Lohengrimas is offline Lohengrimas  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

First of all a big thank you to @orangeart for posting some nice videos on YouTube with Mark Fenlon and the wonderful speaker design ideas of dr. Scott!

One question I had after viewing the one about the designing of the Alpair 11 MS: at some point it is mentioned that the 11 is good for larger sized spaces whereas the 7 MS is more suited for smaller rooms; what sizes of rooms would be considered "big" or "small" corresponding to the various driver sizes? And is the bigger driver in a small room in some way detrimental or a worse idea than utilizing the 7?
Old 20th October 2018, 07:28 PM   #276
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

While the larger driver's higher acoustic efficiency is ideally required with larger rooms and/or lower power sources, it's more a function of listening distance, i.e. the closer one sits [LP], the wider the speaker's polar response ideally needs to be whereas with a longer distance more directivity is required to keep first reflections > 500- 1 kHz [depending on who you ask] to the side/behind the [LP].

In the case of needing a narrower than normal 'sweet spot', a larger driver is the better choice in any size room, ditto where the speaker, LP are near/at opposite walls.

Ideally then, one would spend a little time drawing the room's floor plan to scale with major reflective surfaces, speaker, LP positions [normally should always be at odd harmonics] to see what polar angle[s] works best overall for keeping > 500- 1 kHz off the walls, floor, ceiling or at least where damping is required.

GM
Old 20th October 2018, 08:46 PM   #277
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

New Markaudio Drivers
Quote:
… it's more a function of listening distance ...
And how loud you listen.

dave
Old 20th October 2018, 10:20 PM   #278
Bfpca is offline Bfpca  Canada
diyAudio Member

New Markaudio Drivers
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
And how loud you listen.

dave
Yes, that is huge! Depending on music type and mood I would listen at levels easily differing by 10db or more. Thatís at least 10 times more power at loud levels. When you try to push a small driver too loud you get higher distortion levels and compression. In small doses it sounds ok and you donít notice it until you hear a speaker which has the dynamic range required to play loud and clean. What is loud is a question with as many answers as listeners. Will it play loud enough is one of the most common concerns folks have when looking into a small single driver speakers. Without hearing them in person itís hard to judge.
Old 21st October 2018, 04:54 PM   #279
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
And how loud you listen.

dave
Right, it's intrinsic to increased acoustic efficiency, greater directivity.

GM
Old 21st October 2018, 05:15 PM   #280
Lohengrimas is offline Lohengrimas  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post

Ideally then, one would spend a little time drawing the room's floor plan to scale with major reflective surfaces, speaker, LP positions [normally should always be at odd harmonics] to see what polar angle[s] works best overall for keeping > 500- 1 kHz off the walls, floor, ceiling or at least where damping is required.

GM
Funny thing is, I took over my present apt. from a guy who works in architecture, so he had the whole place drawn up in Sketchup. Whilst moving in the first thing I did was map in some loudspeakers, off course!

The room is pretty small ('tis the part of Yurp with some of the worst property prices on the planet, after all!), the Frugel Horns pictured are done to scale. Ceiling height is only 2.40 m and the ground plan is 4 x 6-ish. The room has therefore some pretty neat ratio's, approaching 1.414 - but reflections are an issue. There's carpet, curtains, books on the walls and double doors opening into a bedroom, als well as a relatively large sofa now, so it's by no means a lively room in terms of acoustics.

The CHR-70's I have now fill the room nicely at my listening levels - again, nothing too loud, this is an inner city place and I like to thinkg of myself as a good neighbor.

In theory frugel horns with the 7 MS should work nicely, but I have this nagging feeling that IF I'm going to build my be-all-end-all, I should just go with the grand daddy of the driver range.

Maybe I should just shut my trap and build those damn Frugels already, they're the only really design icons of the DIY loudspeaker world anyway

Click the image to open in full size.frugelhorns by ctjr, on Flickr

New Markaudio DriversHide this!Advertise here!