New Markaudio Drivers

J6T turned into the original Alpair 5. It was spiderless, but used ferrorfluid to magnetically centre the voice coil.

dave

There was another guy working with Ted who I believe had some engineering input with the smaller cone drivers. I think his name was Patrick Handscombe, this was around 1989. He showed me some small modified Jordans with a pole piece, which he was v proud of. Pretty sure they were spiderless, guessing Mark also worked on those. Patrick had a Jordan based speaker brand called Electrofluidics, using 1st order filters and a cabinet construction very ahead of its time. The new Sota range have similarities in concept.

I can't really elaborate on the specific alloy used as I don't know, I suspect that is a secret. However I take the term 'aerospace' to cover all of the advanced aircraft industry. In my chats with Mark we have talked about testing he's done at an aerospace lab in the UK in the past, beyond that I don't know any technical detail. Obvioisly Mark hasn't invented his own new alloy, he's clever but not a metallurgist. Like most engineers you test lots of different available materials from a large industry that has similar design goals. In this instance you need something extremely light that can be made ridiculously thin, they need that too.

At last! It is no surprise that Mark is the one who made that driver, I have heard a custom spiderless driver and the difference with a conventional one was startling... The spider was just a spring that was always out of tune with the surround, no matter how fine it was. I will for sure buy a pair, question now is the smaller or the bigger.

This will be the ultimate magnifying glass for differences in amps and cables :)

Thanks, Mark!

Last edited:
Bill - I think Mark's brief association with Ted was decades after 1989, and very short-lived, so it's highly unlikely he had anything to do with the drivers you mentioned Patrick showing / discussing with you. .

Well that's v interesting. I might try and get back in touch with Patrick and clear up my vague memory of these drivers, I was only a teenager at the time.

At last! It is no surprise that Mark is the one who made that driver, I have heard a custom spiderless driver and the difference with a conventional one was startling... The spider was just a spring that was always out of tune with the surround, no matter how fine it was. I will for sure buy a pair, question now is the smaller or the bigger.

This will be the ultimate magnifying glass for differences in amps and cables :)

Thanks, Mark!

With regards to the upcoming drivers, what difference or "upgrade" does it have over the Alpair 5.2, which is also a spiderless driver as well as already available for quite some time now?