Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New Markaudio Drivers
New Markaudio Drivers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2020, 06:30 AM   #1611
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

New Markaudio Drivers
Quote:
Originally Posted by berlyassocial View Post
...a very modest donation to diyaudio
$10 USD or more

dave
Old 16th September 2020, 06:54 AM   #1612
simplesteve is offline simplesteve  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

New Markaudio Drivers
Berlyassocial - looking very nice !
What veneer did you use, and how did you finish it ?
I have just bought a pair of the same, but mine were orangeart's own ones he used for demonstrating, and have the MAOP 11's in them - while I've only managed a couple of hours listening time, they compare very well to my existing speakers that cost over 3200 new...
Old 16th September 2020, 07:10 AM   #1613
berlyassocial is offline berlyassocial  India
diyAudio Member

New Markaudio Drivers
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesteve View Post
Berlyassocial - looking very nice !
What veneer did you use, and how did you finish it ?
in fact, what I've used is wooden finish vinyl wrap. In my opinion vinyl wrap performs as well as veneer in terms of finish and looks.its not easily scratchable and is quit thick as well. just you have to do some preparation on the surface you are going to wrap it which was done by the person who build the cabinet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20200905-WA0043.jpg (78.1 KB, 303 views)
Old 16th September 2020, 07:19 AM   #1614
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

New Markaudio Drivers
berlyassocial,

The cabinet maker did a good job with both the cabinets and the vinyl wrap.

Did you slightly rebate the drivers or they are flush-mounted on the front baffle? I am asking because I haven't not seen these new Mark Audio drivers with slimmer bezels in real life, so difficult for me to be 100% sure.
Old 16th September 2020, 07:23 AM   #1615
diyAudio Member

New Markaudio Drivers
We did create recess for a flush fit. But we didn't count for the rubber gasket seal which comes with the driver. So right now it's not perfectly flush. Maybe around 1 or 2mm protruding from baffle surface
Old 16th September 2020, 07:44 AM   #1616
simplesteve is offline simplesteve  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

New Markaudio Drivers
I didn't know vinyl wrap could look so good. Wow !
Old 16th September 2020, 08:10 AM   #1617
FRFT is offline FRFT  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Wow berlyassocial, those speakers look beautiful. Do you have any more info on the wrap that was used?
Old 16th September 2020, 08:31 AM   #1618
Stal is offline Stal
diyAudio Member

Mmm! Checking out Ebay and Amazon for vinyl wrap samples.
Old 16th September 2020, 09:37 AM   #1619
diyAudio Member

New Markaudio Drivers
I don't have anymore information on vinyl wrap used. It's was finished by the cabinet maker. He sourced it and wrapped it. There is some additional treatment he did to the plywood before wrapping which I don't have much info about.
Old 17th September 2020, 08:46 AM   #1620
diyAudio Member

New Markaudio Drivers
Update on the impressions of alpair 11ms

Now well past 10 hours the treble is more clear and bass has increased aswell.

The treble is not overly bright and is very natural and has a good amount of sparkle to it.

One thing that didn't really standout is the negative camber dispersion benefits which was advertised by mark audio. Even with negative camber cone you have to be sitting reasonably center to obtain a good sound stage.

The bass is way more than you expect from this size of a driver. Well defined deep bass. If you have these speakers on Frugel-Horn XL placed in a room with around 16ft length and 14 ft width with reasonable amount of fabric based furniture and speaker placed for corner loading then you have no need for a subwoofer. To hear the deep bass from the frugal horns your listening spot should be around 12 to 14 feet away from the speakers.

These speakers do not seem to be very easy to drive for low powered amps. Because the 3 way I had before fhxl had more spl at similar watts. It might be due to some other factors of the cabinet which I might not be informative enough to understand.

Overall this is a fantastic marriage between fhxl and alpair 11ms. These pair easily outperform brand produced loudspeakers which are 3 to 4 times the price interms of Soundstage, detailing, listening fatigue and even bass performance I would say. Atleast to what I've heard which includes Qacoustics bookshelf and tower, B&W bookshelf, vintage 3 ways, canton bookshelf, acoustic energy tower

But again these brand produced speakers I mentioned before beat alpair on power handling.

So if you are okay with 30 to 35 watts listening and ready to dedicate ample amount of time and thought process in building the cabinet then do go for these because all those efforts will be worth it when you listen to these at last. These have a talent to put a smile on your face.

New Markaudio DriversHide this!Advertise here!