Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New Markaudio Drivers
New Markaudio Drivers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th July 2020, 07:18 AM   #1511
Cindra is offline Cindra  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Man close to me selling made and finished hedlunds for 200 euros (really cheap). He had DX3 instaled. I was just wondering can I make it work with something else than Lowther?
Old 7th July 2020, 12:42 AM   #1512
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Won’t be the first time I’ve said this, but “work” in the most technical sense of the word - ie, could it be made to fit in the enclosure and deliver some output from both direct radiation and through the back loaded horn pathway - almost certainly yes. But would it deliver the same performance as the drivers for which the enclosure was specifically designed - not so likely.
Quite possibly a reason they are offered at such a bargain price.
Old 7th July 2020, 07:15 PM   #1513
Cindra is offline Cindra  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Thx Chris
Old 7th July 2020, 10:43 PM   #1514
L0rdGwyn is offline L0rdGwyn  United States
diyAudio Member

Can I ask the opinion of the members of this thread? I would like to build my first pair of speakers, a pair of bass reflex bookshelves using a Mark Audio driver. They will be paired with a low-wattage SET amplifier in my bedroom for low-to-moderate listening volumes, nothing over 80dB at roughly 3 meters. The speakers will be built first, then the SET amplifier will be designed and built to match them. I am experienced with SET designs, so the exact build is TBD depending on the speakers. It seems the two most sensitive drivers from the Alpair line are the 10P and the 12P, please correct me if I am wrong.

Right now, my most likely option is to use the "simple reflex" cabinets for the Alpair 10P designed by Scott Lindgren. The front port is desirable as these will be quite close to a wall.

http://wodendesign.com/downloads/sim...lan-100214.pdf

My question is this: being someone who aspires to design my own speakers some day, do you think it is worth taking a stab at designing my own cabinets, or should I go with something vetted by an experienced engineer like Scott the first time around? Thanks.

Last edited by L0rdGwyn; 7th July 2020 at 10:45 PM.
Old 7th July 2020, 11:06 PM   #1515
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

New Markaudio Drivers
You can probably expect that that particular design was done assumming a voltage amplifier with a modicum of series impedance to account for wire and connectors. If doing a BR for a high output impedance amplifier you will get the best results if you take the same kind of care Scott has shown with the King of Swingers design(s).

http://wodendesign.com/downloads/King-of-Swingers.pdf

Done for the P11 the same sorts of things apply with the A10p, which is a favorite of the small SET crowd.

dave
Old 7th July 2020, 11:18 PM   #1516
diyAudio Member

Thanks Dave, I will look into it. I see Scott has done the same type of output impedance optimization for the newer driver, the 11MS, so perhaps it is worth considering as well. I think I will dip my toe into the waters of cabinet design with his work as a guide, if it is too much for a newbie, I will fall back on his cabinet dimensions. Unlikely I could design anything close to as good, but we have to start somewhere after all.

Last edited by planet10; 7th July 2020 at 11:19 PM. Reason: remove excess quote
Old 7th July 2020, 11:21 PM   #1517
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

New Markaudio Drivers
Quote:
...if it is too much for a newbie...
Just ask, the extra 3 dB of the A10p is likely something you want to retain. The A11ms is very good thou. Actually it is very close to the P11 in terms of alignments so might well fit into the swingers with little or no change.

dave
Old 7th July 2020, 11:29 PM   #1518
diyAudio Member

Duly noted, I appreciate the help. Just need to wrap up some other projects now, the next one is always the most exciting, very easy to get buried in this hobby.
Old 9th July 2020, 10:17 AM   #1519
orangeart is offline orangeart  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Not really new drivers but a decent fit for this thread, some of you might like to take a look at the thread I just posted in the swapmeet with some very cheap Markaudio drivers.

Prototype Markaudio drivers
Old 19th July 2020, 11:54 PM   #1520
anorphirith is offline anorphirith
diyAudio Member

Hi guys, I have a A5.2 that works well but are a bit anemic in sound.In a not so full range fashion, I''''''''''''''''''''m planning on adding a larger speaker to have a fuller sound.
Ignoring the enclosure, which one would pair well with the A5.2 ? the 11MS or 7MS or pluvia eleven.
thanks

Last edited by anorphirith; 19th July 2020 at 11:59 PM.

New Markaudio DriversHide this!Advertise here!