New Markaudio Drivers

I believe that listing is incomplete or incorrect - Markaudio nomenclature means CHN-40P would have a paper cone, and that listing is clearly a copy of the metal-cone CHN-40.

In general the -P versions are not "better" so much as they are different.

CHN-40 is a relative of OM-MF4, a driver originally produced for some sort of project build that I don't understand, but I can tell you that the keywords you need to Google for it are "Stereo Magazine" and "Ontomo Mook 2020". Perhaps somebody familiar with these things can tell us what that is!

I bring this up because CHN-40P would thus be the general-release version of OM-MF4-MICA, which I think has a similar heritage but for the 2022 version. In that case it'd look something like the image below. The reason I say "would be" is that I don't recall seeing CHN-40P announced anywhere, so until I see a photo I'm not totally convinced it exists.

View attachment 1283279
I brought a pair or ch40p off Amazon Japan delivered to the U.K. in 2 days !!! They sound good in a sealed cardboard box , can’t really be more specific as I havenot finished the box for them due to crappy weather conditions . will be a mono “boombox “ / console . They are tiny though and going the specs would hit 60hz so very limited volume due to excursion.

IMG_1880.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1880.png
    IMG_1880.png
    769.6 KB · Views: 22
OK, so these are OM-MF4-MICA.

As I said before, if a CHN-40P existed it would be similar (probably externally identical) to this driver, but that doesn't make it exactly the same thing.

(Note that this isn't a quality judgement in any direction. Is it better than an international retail CHN-40P would be? Worse? Just voiced differently? I don't know! Nobody does, because there isn't a CHN-40P available to compare it with)

I have read somewhere that these drivers would be the Chn-40p without alteration .
Of course such things are subject to change and with the similar Chn-50p now available from KJF and others perhaps that will never come about .
The response graphs between the two look to have a very similar tone.

UNFINISHED (May veneer the frame in walnut ) cork baffles ,
a difficult and over complicated build that’s turned to be monstrously heavy .
Currently listening without a Back or bass ports . This definitely won’t need BSC as it doesn't sound thin at all even with an open back .
There’s no midrange shout or noticeable break up at all . Vocals are very good , the top end is detailed and extends well but lacks a little sparkle compared to a ribbon tweeter or even an Alpair 6p (although I definitely prefer these ) . driven with a decent TDA7377 (something class d may offer a bit more on the top end) and 7 amp SLA

image.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Are these in parallel unfiltered, or is there a voltage divider?
I wound up not using my planar or ribbon tweeters. I'm not sure what's going on, if it's my amplifier or the tweeters, but I'm back to using basic fabric dome 1" tweeters.
Treble just sounds more natural to me.
I like how that cork looks.

They are driven straight from the amp in stereo , I started used them in parallel mono(4ohm load) just from one channel and using the mono setting on android and it definitely improves the sensitivity but sounded a bit duller than stereo even at about 8 foot distance. You can get decorative Portuguese cork tiles for the bathroom about 3mm thick from EBay

I lined the insides with felt and filled the back and 32mm ports last week , first impressions were waaay to much bass.

Pretty sure the window sill that it’s Sitting on is giving a substantial gain with peaks at 60, 180 and 240hz (measured on by iPad frequency plotter) which was making very bloated bass .
My phone has equalisation fortunately at 60 and 200 hz which at -5db seemed to clean things up and really open the sound up .
Googling ”bloated bass” led to many recommendations of isolation feet for speakers but not wishing to spend £80 for iso feet !
I ended using some dense foam furniture feet I had and what a difference! Really tightened up the bass and I’ve raised the 60/200hz equaliser to -3db.
i tried it outdoors on a rare non rainy day . Resting on a chair and presumably with no bass reinforcement it sounded okay , I then took The bass up to +3db which gave a full sound .
So I think it’s safe to say these drivers have quite a lot of built in baffle step correction
Overall very happy for the moment, good detail and they handle the bass surprisingly well and critically for me there‘s no peaking in the upper mids / treble

Ribbons can be a bit unforgiving, at least the ones I have heard , I have seen very good reports of the basic SB acoustics fabric domes .
I've given up my Fountek ribbons and some mono and dipole planars as well. I have a pair of Seas fabric domes tweeters I sometimes connect as helpers above 10000 hz or so.
I have no idea if they sound better, or if it's just easier to get more dispersion from a dome than a mini line array.
I find them a lot less "listen to that treble!" than some metal dome tweeters here.