New Markaudio Drivers

I thought I had a scoop on some new drivers. 🕵️‍♂️ Shame, but sounds like there some nice new things in the works.

I've just plugged back in my little sealed boxed CHN-50's and I hate them. I've eq'd the bass up and they still sound dreadful, super thin and fall apart at any modest volume, in a new house and I don't remember disliking them. Does anyone have a box design they like them in?

From memory they are in sealed cabs 12mm ply, wrapped in 12mm Valchromat so ultra stiff & dead cabinets, 12mm chamfered edges, test boxes so no lagging as suggested, dimensions based on Scotts compact sealed standmount design. New amp too so they are being driven by a NAD C298, Purifi based design.

Just thought I'd ask if anyone has a design they prefer that would get a little more out of them, I was hoping to use them as near field desktop speakers hence the small sealed boxes, but I'm not sure I can live with them as is...

Vermouth,

Looks like some changes in your "system" - new house/room, amplifier?

You also mention "don't remember disliking them" - so you had them running with a different amp and in a different room and placement earlier? Can you please share that?

Also, if I may ask, what kind of genres do you usually listen too?

Reactions: 1 user
Here are the little GEM50s as I have named them due to the chamfered sides. This was the previous set up at my old house. The drivers below are Alpair 10.2s.

I have recently moved house, so the speakers are just plonked anywhere so not ideal.

Amps similar Hypex ClassD to Purifi so nothing drastic in terms of performance/class.

They were an experiment, with some free birch ply and left over Valchromat, they are still raw and haven't been finished.

I do have a pair of Alpair 6Ms, I wonder if these would perform a little better.

IMG_1234.jpeg

IMG_1233.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are the little GEM50s as I have named them due to the chamfered sides. This was the previous set up at my old house. The drivers below are Alpair 10.2s.

I have recently moved house, so the speakers are just plonked anywhere so not ideal.

Amps similar Hypex ClassD to Purifi so nothing drastic in terms of performance/class.

They were an experiment, with some free birch ply and left over Valchromat, they are still raw and haven't been finished.

I do have a pair of Alpair 6Ms, I wonder if these would perform a little better.

Vermouth,

Agree, there should not be much of a difference between the Hypex Class D and Purifi amps.

Probably the difference that you are hearing is mainly from placement and room acoustics.

Having said that, the small wide-band driver will have there limitations in terms of SPL, dynamics and low frequency output. You can squeeze some additional LF performance with the help of a larger cabinet of appropriate design, but laws of physics will remain in effect. :)

No harm in trying out the Alpair 6 drivers; are they 6.2M?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hairspray is not something i have tried. It was in vogue in the original Full Range Forum.

But, saying hairpray is like saying paint. Water based, oil based, interior, exterior, epoxy… like the word paper sooo many receipes.

If you want to try it, test on a cheap driver you don’t mind throwing away.

I do know a thin coat of slighly thinned ModPodge works well. And you can add colour.

dave

Will the sound change?
Possibly a little. But as Dave says, without knowing the exact type, the exact quantities & location you apply it to, and the ability to measure you've no way of telling exactly what it will do, if anything audible at all. It will add mass; assuming it's a hard-drying type of the kind that could replace starch massaged out of old whizzer cones etc. (not something you can do with a 12P cone) it will also increase the rigidity of the substrate surface, which may cancel the damping effect of the additional mass out & slightly alter the TL behaviour of the cone.

Possibly. Perhaps.

Maybe. ;)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The amount of material i apply to the A12pw does not signifcantly add mass. Fs remains within the QC limits.

Unless you really bombed iy on i expect hairspray would add less.

ModPodge seals the outer surface of the paper reducung cone self-noise (imagine the fibres that make up the paper rubbing together). It increases DDR, reduces colouration, and adds damping that can help cure HF ringing (or too much and wipe out the top completely — often useful in a woofer application.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You have to be REALLY careful with varnishes and lacquers. Many FR drivers were wrecked appling too much stuff like damar or C37.

We only ever used damar to tweak FR (help damp signifcant HF ringing in 2000-2010 FE12Xe drivers). C37 is interesting. It really soaks in. But really pricey. And it did nothing — except apply more invisibly — than ModPodge/Puzzlekoat didn’t also do..

If you want to treat paper the coating should remain flexible.

dave